Asus P7H55-M/USB3

upthetoon

Correct, I can't shut down with this board, although it will reboot.  With my previous board and no other configuration changes I was able to shutdown.  Not sure what the deal is but in the end it wasn't a big deal as I just tell it to shutdown and once everything stops I go press the power button.

Correct, I can't shut down with this board, although it will reboot.  With my previous board and no other configuration changes I was able to shutdown.  Not sure what the deal is but in the end it wasn't a big deal as I just tell it to shutdown and once everything stops I go press the power button.

I have this board and I am running full version 4.7 pro. I click POWERDOWN button in the main menu via http://tower:8080 and it shuts down no problem at all. Well i say no problem...how would I know if there was a problem? Basically I hit powerdown or type it at console and it shuts down as I would expect. What symptoms do you get when you try? I must say that so far I have no array setup and I am only in the pre build state just getting things ready.

@  Speedkills: Any other info with regard to this board as well would be greatly appreciated. Specifically:

1: Did you set the motherboard to control your CPU heatsink fan speed? I set mine to LOW or something that was basically biast towards low noise levels. I have not monitored cpu temp (is there an easy way using unraud utilities?) but it has precleared disks 3 times with no issues and has never crashed yet.

2: How did/do you find the realtek onboard NIC? I hear of many people praising and opting for the Intel Pro NICs for performance. However, I am not sure if it is worth it unless the realteks are causing issues which I know they have/can for some people with other boards. Additionally, the bottleneck can often be the throughput of the transfer from a windows based client to the unraid server no? Or sometimes the HDDs if a cache drive is not used.

I think it seems a good board so far. Nice build quality from Asus, USB3, future expansion up to the limit of Pro licence (case size dependant) with the PCIe x16 and x4 slots, standard PCI slots for any Intel NIC upgrades if required, 8x onboard sata ports, integrated HD graphics and good cpu support.

I am just at the data copying stage of my build at the moment. I might post up when all done.

Might be an issue with the firmware on the board, maybe you have a newer version that doesn't have the shutdown issue.  It's been months since I've looked at it but mine sits there with the fans spinning, it never goes off by itself.  The other issue I had with this board is that the additional sata ports (beyond what Intel supports in their chipset) did not work reliably.  You can spot the extra two because they are a different color, I think six are blue and two are orange, the two additional ports use a non-intel controller and resulted in data corruption repeatedly.  Between not shutting down and the fact that the extra ports I was purchasing the board for did not end up working I have not been happy with it but maybe the later revisions are more reliable.

Interesting. Thanks for the info. I will post up my BIOS firmware version when I next check the server with keyboard/monitor attached. I may also test the non Intel (they are actually Marvell I think) controller ports to see if this becomes an issue. Perhaps it was due to their SATA III 6gbs speed having some incompatability with unraid and the HDDs used. Perhaps those ports should have been put in sata II mode or legacy mode if that's possible to make them not have issues with SATA II only HDDs. How did you come accross the data coruption issues you speak of? Did you just find that those drives were the culprit in parity errors? Sorry I am unfamiliar with unraid and just want to know how to spot/test this for myself.

Thankyou

Archived