Advice on moving files between Unraid servers

DeanH

I'm getting ready to retire my 8+ year old box running Unraid 4.7.

I've built up a new box and it's up and running on Unraid 6.

I've got about 8TB of files I want to move.  Both servers are hardwired 1GB on same switch.

What's the best way to move files from one box to the other?

I would rather not use another PC on the network to move files.

I'm stuck in the Windows world for work, and I don't know Linux commands very well.  Can someone give me an example of using Terminal and CP commands to copy files from another network server?

1 hour ago, DeanH said:

What's the best way to move files from one box to the other?

Mount the shares from the old server using Unassigned Devices plugin on the new server.

Use Midnight Commander (mc) at the console,  browse to the shares and copy as desired.

In mc, you will be copying from /mnt/disks/ from one side to /mnt/user/shares on the other. Don't mess with /mnt/disk(number) or /mnt/cache unless you educate yourself on what those are and how they interact with /mnt/user.

I installed Unassigned Devices on the new Unraid6 box.  When I try to add a share, it can't find the old server.  I tried by name and IP address.

I'm not sure it's related, but one of the reasons I'm retiring the old box is I cannot access it from Windows 10 PCs.  I can access it with a Win7 VM running on a Win10 laptop, but only by ip address, not name.  So maybe something's goofy with the sharing set up of the old 4.7 box?