Not all SSD's are created equal (SSD Caching)

Hey Unraid community. 

I'm a new UNRAID user and so far I'm liking it a lot.  I just built a server yesterday and am moving over my files from my Synology NAS that's very old and giving intermittent failures.  My current server build is as follows:

Athlon 200GE

16GB RAM

B450M DS3H (Gigabyte)

Deepcool Tesseract Case

1x 3TB IronWolf (pulled from Synology)

1x 128GB ADATA SU650 as Caching Drive (had a spare one).

The system will soon be populated with more drives from the Synology as soon as I'm done copying the data from the Synology NAS to UNRAID.  

With all that preamble out of the way, let me share a bit of my findings.

During my copy from Synology to UNRAID, I noticed that the speeds were amazing!  Basically maxing out my Gigabit network at home.  However, after a minute or so, I noticed horrible speeds.  Basically 20-30Megabytes/sec.  I was a bit surprised since I was using a SSD as caching.  Turns out that the SU650 is a super cheap drive and while it has fast buffer RAM, the actual SSD is super slow and basically slowed down the whole system.  For a quick test I used a Samsung 850 Pro (256GB) that I was going to use in another system build and performed the same copy test again.  Guess what?  Sustained speeds maxing out my gigabit network for the duration of the copy.

TL/DR:  Get a high end SSD for caching and don't skip out and get el cheapo drives.

Hope this helps someone.