Intel Pentium G4400

Dilan

The mobo I had, got some physical damage, so thought of putting in a Asus B150M plus. Got 4gb ram. Planning to upgrade that to 8gbs.

Got a SanDisk 128gb M.2 Sata SSD that I have from my laptop and another 256 Samsung 850 EVO SSD which I’m planning to use as cache. 

1 x WD red 3TB that I’m using on a dock. So planning to get 2 more of the same.

Its mostly trying to recycle the stuff I have. How does those look?

Edited by Dilan
Addition of information

You shouldn't use SSDs in the parity array. And you shouldn't connect any disk in the parity array or cache pool using USB.

You could put both of those SSDs in the cache pool, but the default raid1 configuration would give you a mirror with total capacity of only the smaller SSD. There are other cache pool configurations available.

8GB RAM should be fine if you don't try to do VMs or too many dockers.

The thing about trying to "recycle stuff" is, you need to make very sure each disk is reliable, because if you lose a disk, every bit of parity plus every bit of all the other disks must be reliably read to reliably reconstruct the data of the missing disk. Just because a disk hasn't given you any problem before doesn't necessarily mean every bit of it can be reliably read. SMART reports of each disk would need to be examined to get some confidence in them.

Another thing about reusing disks, Unraid must format any disk it will use in the parity array or cache pool, so if those disks have any data on them you want to keep, you will have to copy it somewhere.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, trurl said:

You could put both of those SSDs in the cache pool, but the default raid1 configuration would give you a mirror with total capacity of only the smaller SSD. There are other cache pool configurations available.

Sorry I’m not following you on this part? I only intend to use both SSDs as caches. So why would it be mirrored as a raid1?

1 minute ago, Dilan said:

Sorry I’m not following you on this part? I only intend to use both SSDs as caches. So why would it be mirrored as a raid1?

There is no option at this time for multiple separate cache disks. You can put multiple disks into a btrfs raid cache pool. As mentioned, there are other btrfs raid configurations available. See this FAQ for more details:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/46802-faq-for-unraid-v6/#comment-480421

You can also mount any disk, even those with other filesystems, outside the parity array or cache pool using the Unassigned Devices plugin.

• Like 1