Considering Unraid but question about read speeds

pmjm

Hello everyone!

I have been playing with the unraid demo and I love what it does, but I'm a little concerned that it might not be right for my use case.

I'm building a 100tb magnetic array and want two parity disks. I will also add a pair of 1tb sata SSD's in raid-0 for cache. My server and network will run over 10gbe, because I want to be able to edit 4k video off this array. My 4k footage comes from Canon cameras and is 500mbps. On my current setup (local ssd storage), I can not playback the 4k footage realtime - With the sata overhead I'm running into the 6gbps limit.

A striped raid would overcome this, as the system would read and reconstitute the data realtime across more than one sata connection simultaneously. But if what I'm reading about unraid is correct, the data is not striped and is stored on individual disks. If this is the case, it will be impossible to saturate my 10gbe network, and I'd also be unable to play (let alone edit) my 4k footage realtime from the array. 

Do I have that right? Is there no way to overcome the 600mbps sata3 limit with unraid (other than using m.2 which my motherboard does not even have)? What approach would you take to maximize read/write speeds for this application?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Edited by pmjm
  • Like 1

You are correct in that Unraid does not stripe data so it is never possible to exceed the speed a file can be read from the drive being accessed.    If you really need the sort of performance you talk about the Unraid may well not meet your requirements.