Anyone familiar with High-Rely backup systems?

Rajahal

First of all, I want to make this perfectly clear:

High-Rely makes backup systems.  unRAID is a NAS.  These are very different systems with different goals in mind.  So the purpose of this thread is not to compare them.

High-Rely systems are somewhat spendy ($2000 for a 6 drive system, for example), so I doubt anyone is using one at home.  However, I figure there are enough of you in the corporate environment that someone has probably used a High-Rely system at some point.  If you have, what did you think of it?

Here's their product line.

I definitely think they have some interesting hardware ideas.  Also, I'm curious if a High-Rely system and an unRAID system could be used in tandem...I don't see why not.  It would be very interesting to see some High-Rely hardware modified to be used with unRAID, but I'm not sure this is really possible given that their systems don't use a standard mobo, CPU, RAM, etc.  Perhaps it would be possible through the use of port multipliers, since High-Rely systems attach through eSATA, but that would basically require a full unRAID box with a High-Rely box attached to it.  I expect that a High-Rely system could be mounted outside an unRAID array with SNAP or similar.

They have some interesting software ideas as well.  For example, this system uses a RAID 5 in the 5 vertical bays, and then a mirrored RAID on top of that with the lower drive.  So that means you could have a 6 drive RAID 5 of all 500 GB drives up top, and the whole thing would be mirrored onto a single 2 TB drive on the bottom.  This 2 TB drive could then be taken off site for backup purposes.

Archived