***PSA*** Do not update your BIOS on Ryzen, pass through will not work.

I made the mistake of updating the BIOS on my X370 Ryzen board, which completely killed my VM project. Here was my little predicament:

I recently updated my BIOS, which changed all of the PCIe device IDs. (i.e. 29:00.0 -> 0a:00.0) Unraid went nuts, and I eventually resorted to starting completely from scratch. I created 2 fresh Windows 10 VMs using VNC, which worked. When I went to pass through my RX 580 to a VM, it starts but then pauses itself. Attempting to resume it results in this error:

internal error: unable to execute QEMU command 'cont': Resetting the Virtual Machine is required

I force stop the VM and attempting to start it again results in this error:

internal error: Unknown PCI header type '127'

I receive the same errors when trying to pass through my RX 570 to the other VM, and they will not do anything until the system is rebooted. 

However, my cheap Nvidia GT 710 will pass through and run the VM for a few minutes before giving me a black screen with just the cursor. Attached are my diagnostics.

Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VI Hero (Wi-Fi AC)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700

RAM: 32GB DDR4-2400MHz
GPUs:

- Nvidia Geforce GT 710

- AMD RX 570 (primary)

- AMD RX 580

Any ideas as to what is wrong with the new BIOS?

diagnostics-20190615-1715.zip

Edited by Ep1cPl4yz
8 hours ago, david279 said:

There is a bug with the latest ryzen bios that kills pass through right now. Hope newer bios revisions will fix it but there is a patch the fixes the issue but you will need to patch the unRAID kernel for that. Best bet is to revert to a older bios.

Thanks for the information. I attempted to do that but my motherboard doesn’t like it. I have since assumed that was the case and gave up on trying to resurrect my project.