olehj

9p mount problems with "unassigned devices"

2 posts in this topic Last Reply

I have struggled with this for a while now, and no matter what I do I seem to fail mounting drives outside unraid array with correct permissions. So for the first and maybe most important question: Is there something that needs to be enabled to be able to use disk mounts outside Unraids array in a VM over 9p?

If I mount any of the unraid array folders like /mnt/cache or /mnt/user/, I get expected permissions and can read and write and everything is wonderful. But if I then try to mount something like /mnt/disks/Cache (for a new external cache drive), or another /mnt/disks/Data folder which is both assigned via the "Unassigned devices" plugin, I get only read access except from creating files under root in the VM.

I have checked the folders both when mounted and not, they all share the same user:group and chmod values. The fstab and mtab is exactly the same and I can't find any useful information in the log files either.

I also tried to make a folder under root, chown it to myself with permissions telling me I should have no problems writing a file in it, but it still denies it.

It must be something I really have overlooked, maybe something stupid and tiny - because I feel I've been through more of the "advanced" shit already.

FSTAB:
storage		/mnt/storage	9p	trans=virtio,version=9p2000.L,msize=262144,_netdev,rw	0	0
media		/mnt/media	9p	trans=virtio,version=9p2000.L,msize=262144,_netdev,rw	0	0
scratch		/mnt/scratch	9p	trans=virtio,version=9p2000.L,msize=262144,_netdev,rw	0	0
cache		/mnt/cache	9p	trans=virtio,version=9p2000.L,msize=262144,_netdev,rw	0	0

MTAB:
storage /mnt/storage 9p rw,sync,dirsync,relatime,trans=virtio,version=9p2000.L,msize=262144 0 0
media /mnt/media 9p rw,sync,dirsync,relatime,trans=virtio,version=9p2000.L,msize=262144 0 0
scratch /mnt/scratch 9p rw,sync,dirsync,relatime,trans=virtio,version=9p2000.L,msize=262144 0 0
cache /mnt/cache 9p rw,sync,dirsync,relatime,trans=virtio,version=9p2000.L,msize=262144 0 0

"cache" is the only one which is troubling, and the only one outside the Unraid array. I have similar problems with another VM where I chose to run NFS instead, but I guess I would prefer to use 9p as long it is on the same machine.

I could not find anything more about this specific problem on this forum, and I have been through multiple posts here already and tried like everything as setting gid,uid etc.

Looks like I will just use NFS, at least it works 😛