P5LD2-VM & 3rd PATA Drive

jcato

Hello!

I have UnRaid 4 setup with a P5LD2-VM, 2 PATA drives and 1 SATA drive (the parity drive).  I'm trying to add a third PATA drive to the system, but UnRaid doesn't see it.  In the BIOS, I enabled the ITE8211F controller and I think the bios sees it.  It doesn't show on the Main Menu page, but it does show 4 drives under the Boot page > Boot Device Priority setting.

Also, when I boot up, I see it detect the drive on the ITE8211F controller.  Does UnRaid support that controller?  If not, what are my options, a pci controller card?

Thanks

I've been looking into this as well since I'm very interested in that motherboard. If we can get this figured out then I'll plunk down my cash for a license.

It looks like the Linux kernels above 2.6.19 have support for the controller (PATA_IT821X). unRAID 4.1 runs on 2.6.22 so that probably explains why you see it identified in your boot logs.

My research shows an oddity of that embedded driver is that it treats the IX821X IDE RAID controller as a SCSI controller thus assigning the drives as /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, etc.

Are you familiar enough with the Linux terminal prompt to see if you can pull up information about those drives?

What do you get when you execute

hdparm -i /dev/sda

and

hdparm -i /dev/sdb

I think one will show up as the flash drive and the other as your hard drive.

Thanks for pointing me towards the latest release.  I upgraded to 4.1 and UnRaid sees my new disk now.  I guess I should've tried that before posting!

It is clearing now, so hopefully all goes well with my first expansion.

I think this drive is seen as an ide drive.  On the devices page, this drives are listed as:

parity device:  pci-0000:00:1f.2-scsi-0:0:0:0 (sda) scsi-SATA_ST3320620AS

disk1 device: pci-0000:00:1f.1-ide-0:0 (hde) ata-Maxtor_6Y250P0

disk2 device: pci-0000:00:1f.1-ide-0:1 (hdf) ata-ST3300622A

disk3 device: pci-0000:01:04.0-ide-0:0 (hda) ata-Maxtor_6Y250P0

disk3 is the new drive on the ITE8211F controller.

Thanks

Archived