New build

First thing first, not sure of my budget, it won't be small though, and I don't know why it matters how many drives, but I need 32tbs set aside for retro games and another 24tbs for my personal stuff, then the last 8tb as a fail drive, for a total of 64tbs, or a similar combination as long as I have one fail drive. I'm gonna use this as a nas and htpc. I do have some parts but they are from a while ago, not sure if I'll use them in this build. But mostly want to store my retro games, then use this Nas as a cloud server for my family, also would like to store all my media including music, movies, and photos. If possible I would like to put steam on here so I can just download games one time and play from anywhere. Nas will be used for a small business as well. I will have a main computer so all heavy work will be done on there, but I have a ton of storage devices and I want to consiladte everything into this build. Looking to use asrock itx Mobo, and ryzen 3400g or 3200g. Case will be fractal design node 804. One major question I have is how much ram do I need. I read the basic intro on unraid and I guess since I'm looking to play some steam games from this build I need to have ram usage for vms which means at least 16gbs, so I'm thinking 32gbs since I'm gonna have around 64tbs of storage.

Don't use an ITX board in that case when you can use a Micro ATX.

I'm glad you know your budget is going to be large, because you need to spend most of your budget on hard drives to store something in the neighborhood of 80TBs of space. That is large.

On 7/23/2019 at 6:46 AM, Commander ET said:

First thing first, not sure of my budget, it won't be small though, and I don't know why it matters how many drives, but I need 32tbs set aside for retro games and another 24tbs for my personal stuff, then the last 8tb as a fail drive, for a total of 64tbs, or a similar combination as long as I have one fail drive.

I'm gonna use this as a nas and htpc. I do have some parts but they are from a while ago, not sure if I'll use them in this build. But mostly want to store my retro games, then use this Nas as a cloud server for my family, also would like to store all my media including music, movies, and photos. If possible I would like to put steam on here so I can just download games one time and play from anywhere. Nas will be used for a small business as well.

I will have a main computer so all heavy work will be done on there, but I have a ton of storage devices and I want to consiladte everything into this build. Looking to use asrock itx Mobo, and ryzen 3400g or 3200g. Case will be fractal design node 804.

One major question I have is how much ram do I need. I read the basic intro on unraid and I guess since I'm looking to play some steam games from this build I need to have ram usage for vms which means at least 16gbs, so I'm thinking 32gbs since I'm gonna have around 64tbs of storage.

Paragraphing is your bestie. :D

How good are you with command lines? Do you have a good fast reliable Internet connection? If so, have you considered using a 3rd party cloud storage (hint: start with G and ends with e) for your purposes i.e. instead of a ton of HDDs? There is a dedicated topic in the forum on how to set things up to use rclone + Unraid + bash scripts to almost seamlessly combine Cloud and local.

Reason for the suggestion: it sounds like you probably need at least 8 HDDs, which will run you into the thousands, which will buy you years of cloud storage, which is great for "save once, read once and then almost never ever again" kind of data, which sounds like most of your storage needs.

Now if you need the data local then there's nothing really wrong with what you are considering. I would recommend avoiding ITX motherboards because of the limited number of SATA ports and PCIe slot. Also note that the Node 804 airflow isn't that great when filled up with HDDs.

As for RAM, 32GB is usually good enough but it has nothing to do with 64TB of storage. You can run 16GB RAM (or heck 8GB) with 64TBs of HDDs. The reason is more because you want VMs, each of which will need its own reserve of RAM.

OK so ram usage isn't too high, what case would you recommend, I would like it small, but I'm sure options will be limited if not mini itx and micro atx, I don't think I'll never need more than 8, I may not even need that many if I get high capacity drives 10tb hdds or higher. Recommend me a case, and I'll probably go with 16gbs or 32gbs of ram.