What media player route did you take and why?

talmania

Been using a Netgear neo tv 550 since the beginning of December. this unit is the whole reason i started looking for some way to stream it to my box, first at nas'es but then got my eye on unraid.

It still has some rough edges which hopefully  get taken care off with some upcoming updates.

this thread over at avsforums is all about it.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for Cinavia, if it's going to show up anywhere it will be with a more mainstream company like Netgear vs. Syabas.  Since they both have nearly the same chipset (8642 vs. 8643) the only advantages I see with the NeoTV 550 over a C-200 is the price ($130 less) and maybe the front end UI (YAMJ should solve this).  From what I read of the problems on the netgear forum, the advantage of the C-200 is the maturity of the firmware albeit the new NMJ UI seems to be a bust atm.  I'm sure Netgear's firmware will catch up quick though as they have deeper pockets.

Yeah, the GUI was the big seller for me after the hassle of the TViX. I just wanted a streamer that worked out of the box, and looked good with it! All the main new players are now using the 8642/3 Sigma chipsets (HDI Dune, Popcorn Hour, TViX, Netgear etc). The danger with Cinavia, if there is one, is that Sigma include it in a firmware update, rather than the streamer vendor, who won't have a choice to exclude it at that point. But I really can't see this implemented, beyond playback of disc versions of copied movies, as it would essentially render the stream market useless for the current user base. Lets cross fingers though anyway, just in case!!