cache

cwebb

h all is it possible to have to use a external hard drive via usb as a cahe disk as i only have a 4 bay server (hp proliant one ) with 5 or 6tb in there from what i can remember i have not set up uniad as yet still looking into what i require for it to work right for me many thanks for the help in advance  

In theory you can, but it is not recommended.     The reason is that if it momentarily disconnects and then reconnects with a different device Id (as USB drives can be prone to do) then Unraid can lose track of the fact it is running as a cache disk.

do you actually need a cache disk?     You may be better of not having one and using the USB drive as an Unassigned Device that is not part of the array?

• Like 1

thanks Itimpi , i have been reading about unraid and some of the reports say its best to use a cache disk but i am a newbi  , i only need the server for putting some movies on and storage , and access to it from the out side world to access some folders or files , or am i reading to deep into this 

once again thanks for your reply  

15 minutes ago, cwebb said:

thanks Itimpi , i have been reading about unraid and some of the reports say its best to use a cache disk but i am a newbi  , i only need the server for putting some movies on and storage , and access to it from the out side world to access some folders or files , or am i reading to deep into this 

once again thanks for your reply  

The original reason for having a cache drive was for improv9ng perceived write speeds to the array by using it as a staging device and actually writing the files to the main array in quiet periods overnight.     Many people do not bother with this and find performance writing directly to the array is sufficient for their needs.

More recently the cache is being used as an ‘application’ drive to give improved performance to running docker containers or VMs.    However using an Unassigned Device is often an alternative approach that works perfectly well.

• Like 1