Adding a second parity and another data drive at the same time?

Herdo

I just got myself 2 more 4TB Ultrastar drives and they are currently preclearing.

Once this is done, what's the best way to go about adding these? I'm adding a second parity drive and another (5th) data drive.  Should I add them both to the array at the same time, or one at a time?  If one at a time, in which order makes the most sense?  I'm trying to avoid doing 2 parity rebuilds if possible, but I'm not sure if that is an option.  I know adding the second parity drive is going to need a parity rebuild, but I believe adding another data drive will as well.

Thanks in advance!

32 minutes ago, Herdo said:

I just got myself 2 more 4TB Ultrastar drives and they are currently preclearing.

Once this is done, what's the best way to go about adding these? I'm adding a second parity drive and another (5th) data drive.  Should I add them both to the array at the same time, or one at a time?  If one at a time, in which order makes the most sense?  I'm trying to avoid doing 2 parity rebuilds if possible, but I'm not sure if that is an option.  I know adding the second parity drive is going to need a parity rebuild, but I believe adding another data drive will as well.

Thanks in advance!

You cannot add both drives at the same time to the parity protected array.

if you want to avoid a parity build followed by a clear of the new disk then you could do Tools->New Config and assign all drives as you want them.   Existing data drives will keep their data intact.  This would invalidate the current parity but when you start the array Unraid wii accept the new data drive and start building both parity drives in parallel.    This is faster than adding in 2 steps but means that until the parity is built you are not protected against an existing data drive failing.    You have to decide if safety or speed is more important to you.

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, itimpi said:

You cannot add both drives at the same time to the parity protected array.

if you want to avoid a parity build followed by a clear of the new disk then you could do Tools->New Config and assign all drives as you want them.   Existing data drives will keep their data intact.  This would invalidate the current parity but when you start the array Unraid wii accept the new data drive and start building both parity drives in parallel.    This is faster than adding in 2 steps but means that until the parity is built you are not protected against an existing data drive failing.    You have to decide if safety or speed is more important to you.

Thank you.  It's about to finish with the post-read, but I think I'll just do one at a time.  I'm not in any huge rush or anything.

Thanks again for the help!