problem accessing share from single pc

I have a variety of shares, some public and some private. Those that are public i can access from my main pc just fine, but when trying to access any private shares I cannot do so, even with the correct credentials. This is only an issue from one single PC, any others on the network are just fine. The PC in question is windows 7 Ultimate. Can't browse to those (private) shares or map them. It's acting as though I'm using the wrong credentials, but it works from any other PC on the network. It did work at one point, then just stopped one day. Any thoughts on what might be wrong?

If you connect to a public share, windows offers up credentials and they are accepted, because public. Then when you try to connect to a private share, those credentials aren't valid, so it pops up a dialog. It's a trick. Windows will NOT allow 2 different sets of credentials for the same server, so even though it asks for new credentials, the existing login to the public share is still valid, so the new credentials are just discarded by windows.

You can either purge the existing credentials and logins, then force the first connection to be a private share, or you can use the IP address instead of the server name for the private share and windows will happily accept new credentials because it's stupid and doesn't know you are actually accessing the same server.

• Like 1