No Parity?

t2ffn

Can I use the free licence to add 3 data drives, then add the parity drive later when I upgrade the licence? Searched and googled but couldn't find the answer!

I want to set up my server and get to know unRaid a little, then add further drives with the Pro licence.

Thanks

Can I use the free licence to add 3 data drives, then add the parity drive later when I upgrade the licence? Searched and googled but couldn't find the answer!

I want to set up my server and get to know unRaid a little, then add further drives with the Pro licence.

Thanks

No, you are limited to two data drives in the assigned array.  The third slot in the assigned array is strictly for a parity drive.

You can mount additional drives outside of the array.  They can even be shared on the LAN.

If I only have a single empty drive, can I insert it as the 1st data drive and begin moving files onto it, then add the 2nd data drive? Do I have to add the parity right from the start?

Is there any comprehensive instruction for setting this up? I've looked over the unRaid site but can't see anything that answers these questions.

If I only have a single empty drive, can I insert it as the 1st data drive and begin moving files onto it,

Yes
then add the 2nd data drive?
Yes
Do I have to add the parity right from the start?
No.  (But you will not be protected from a disk failure until you do add one)  In many cases adding the parity drive last will speed the transfer of data to the array and its initial load with data from other sources on your LAN.

Is there any comprehensive instruction for setting this up? I've looked over the unRaid site but can't see anything that answers these questions.

Look in the wiki: The "un-official" section is the most accurate and complete:

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Unofficial_Documentation

There is a new section in it that might be helpful:

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Configuration_Tutorial