Norco 4020 build - First Unraid Build

So over the years I have had different versions of a server, Win7, then Windows Home Server, then Windows Home Server 2011, then QNAP TS870Pro (Still using as offsite backup), then QNAP TVS871, and now unRaid

When I had my Windows home server versions running I was using a Norco 4020 case with a bunch of 1Tb and 2TB drives, and then when Windows Home server was discontinued and I wanted something more robust and easy to use (Being a windows guy) So I got my QNAP TS870Pro and had it filed with 3TB drives. I soon ran out of space for my Plex server and needed more space. I could upgrade to larger 4-6TB drives at the time, but I also wanted 4k output as I dat them directly connected to my tv. So I upgraded to the QNAP TVS871 and filed it with 4TB drives, and then later upgraded to 8TB. Then earlier this year I was running low on space. (8TB left) so I decided to take the plunge and try out unraid.

So I started testing it out and fell in love with it, as it reminded me of the Windows Home server days. I almost sold my old Norco 4020 case and glad I did not. I started to test fit items ant try to figure out how I wanted to set everything up.

Fist issue was the old fan wall, (9x 80mm Fans) and it was noisy. Was going to buy the Norco 3x 120mm fan wall and replace it. But the PC I was going to put in the case was my old gaming PC and the processor was watercooled and was going to need to buy a new cooler or find a way to use the watercooler that I had to save money.

Well after some tinkering and debating on what to do I decided to make my own fan wall that I could use the radiator with. Went to home depot and got a piece of sheet metal and got my dremal out and went to work. (Forgot to take pics)

So i got it installed and running been using it for a few weeks now, got everything transferred and all seems to be working great. (Currently on my office floor)

Specs:

Norco 4020 Case (Old version - New version = 4220)

Custom Fan wall for radiator w/ 3x 120mm Noctua Fans

2x 80mm Noctua case fans

Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0

AMD FX-9590 Eight-Core @ 4.7 GHz

32 GB Ram

Nvidia RTX 2070

1x 512GB NVME via PCIe Card (Could not fit 2 so no redundancy) - Cache Drive

Kingston DataTraveler SE9 32GB USB2.0 Flash Drive (Boot Drive)

Corsair HX1050 Power Supply

LSI SAS 9211-8i 6Gb/s PCIe (IT-MODE) - ebay $59.99

HP 24/28 Bay Port 6Gb SAS SATA Expander Card (most current firmware) - ebay $42.95

Both card I have installed a Noctua 40x10mm fan on the heat sinks

I did not have enough available PCIe slots for the HP expansion card, so knowing that it only needs power from the PCIE slot I purchased a Graphics Card Vertical Kickstand from amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JR3M6T4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

and a Multi-Interface PCI-E Riser from amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C2TS4MV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

I did not use the magnetic base, (No magnets that close to my board for me), so I got some screws from Home Depot and screwed it from the bottom.

Mini SAS cables from Monoprice to connect from Controller to Expander Card (1x) and expander card to backplane (5x) (https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=301&cp_id=30105&cs_id=3010503&p_id=8189&seq=1&format=2)

2x 8TB WD (Shucked Drives) - Parity

Array (144TB)

1x 6TB WD (Shucked Drives)

3x 4TB WD (Shucked Drives)

12x 8TB WD (Shucked Drives)

Off-site backup to QNAP TS870Pro (8x 4TB Drives) Only important files (Docs, Pics, Music) (Also Shucked drives)

Goal is to store all DVD, Blu-Ray, 3D Blu-Ray, and 4K movies/TV I have. (Slowly getting there Ripping TV shows suck)

Be able to stream / transcode Multi streams including 4K. (Hence the RTX 2070) transcoding is also sent to Cache drive)

Running Unraid 6.8.0-rc1 (Nvidia Version)

Plugins being used:

CA Auto Turbo Write Mode

CA Backup / Restore Appdata

CA Cleanup Appdata

CA Dynamix Unlimited Width

CA Mover Tuning

Community Applications

Disk Location

Dynamix Active Streams

Dynamix Cache Directories

Dynamix SSD TRIM

Dynamix System Information

Dynamix System Statistics

Dynamix System Temperature

Enhanced Log Viewer

File Activity

Fix Common Problems

GUI Links

Nerd Tools

Network Statistics

Speedtest Command Line Tool

Tips and Tweaks

Unassigned Devices

Unraid Nvidia

Dockers Installed:

nzbhydra2

NoIp

krusader

Transmission_VPN

Jackett_VPN

SABnzbd_VPN

Sonarr

Radarr

Lidarr

pi-hole

Plex

Tautulli

Ombi

youtube-dl

Zoneminder (playing with as I have a standalone NVR))

Now for what you came to see pics:

Front of Case:

20191022_134958.jpg

Case Open

20191022_135004.jpg

View of my self made fan wall

20191022_135039.jpg

Angle from other side to show radiator, and HP card (with Noctua fan) installed using the Standoff w/ PCI Riser Card

20191022_135121.jpg

Top View of the HP card setup

20191022_135127.jpg

From top to Bottom:

NVMA Pcie Card (512GB)

LSI Controller

RTX 2070

20191022_135141.jpg

Top View of motherboard

20191022_135112.jpg

Another Angle

20191022_135130.jpg

Hope you enjoyed. Would love any and all feedback. (Good or bad) or questions.

Just a shout out to the whole unRaid community for your help, whether it be old posts I found info from, or posts I made that you responded on. (Linux is all new to me) Thanks so much.

Edited by almulder
additional info

Short answer is that is has been stable and reliable, no issues yes. Now I can't tell you the speeds off hand as I am still adding drives into the array as I pulled them from my old qnap. 

Also what is the best way to test the Array Speeds?

Also I might switch my HP card out for an intel that finally showed up, as it has only 6 ports (1 in - 5 out) as all my backplane needs is the 5 out  ,and then use the HP in the future for an expansion case (Should I run out of space) as it has more outs than the intel. (Also the intel can be powered via a plugged in molex on the top of card or just use the riser card setup.)

Edited by almulder