syslinux -ma for unraid install on Mac Pro (kernel panic)

hi guys. i'm trying to install unraid on a mid 2012 unraid mac pro. using refind bootloader just for ease of use.

whenever i start the unraid boot, it hangs when loading bzroot. i've tried going through the steps outlined here 

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=USB_Flash_Drive_Preparation

to update the USB drive with the latest version of syslinux (6.03), but unsure of how to use the -ma option on a mac. just swapping the old syslinux file for the new one made no difference. everyone else seems to be using this w/ windows. All of this is in a quest to get unraid on the mac pro as mentioned earlier. so if i'm barking up the wrong tree here, i'm open for any advice. thanks!

Post edit: i'm also getting the following error during boot failure:

end kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

tried different unraid versions, tried loading the usb manually with .zip instead of the creator, tried every usb port on the machine... nada

Edited by Cpt. Chaz
cont'd troubleshooting
  • 2 months later...

Ah. Crap. 

I fiddled with it for a while back when I was trying to use the Mac Pro for unraid, but never could get there with it. Tried 6.7.2. Too bad 6.8 didn’t get it. Wonder if the RC with the new Linux kernel would be worth a shot? 6.8rc7 or whatever it was (I’d have to go back and look unless someone knows off hand)

• 1 year later...