Problem with PCIe SATA controller when VT-d active

MarvTK

Hey there,

I upgraded my server to use VMs with VT-d. I have a PCIe SATA controller which has two SSDs plugged in. If I activate VT-d in BIOS, the SSDs are not aviable for unRAID, but the controller is appearing in SysDevs. If I deactivate VT-d in BIOS, the SSDs are usable in unRAID as usual.

Is there a way to use the SSDs on the PCIe SATA controller for unRaid with VT-d activated?

The server

Intel Xeon X3440

4x 4GB DDR3 ECC RAM

ASUS P7F-M WS

The controller on the PCIe SATA card is Marvell 88SE9230

..upgrade: I had a Core 2 Quad with 8GB RAM before..

43 minutes ago, MarvTK said:

The controller on the PCIe SATA card is Marvell 88SE9230

The Marvell chip sets have been an ongoing problem with Unraid for quite some time.  Their use is not recommended as they sometimes work and sometimes don't work.  Yours (apparently) works if you disable VT-d.  If you require VT-d to be enabled, you will have to replace it.  LSI based SATA carders are recommended for use with Unraid these days. 

2 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

The Marvell chip sets have been an ongoing problem with Unraid for quite some time.  Their use is not recommended as they sometimes work and sometimes don't work.  Yours (apparently) works if you disable VT-d.  If you require VT-d to be enabled, you will have to replace it.  LSI based SATA carders are recommended for use with Unraid these days. 

Thank you for the quick response. I saw the PCIe SATA card on ebay for cheap and I bought it. Did not know if it would work properly. Right now, I do not need VMs and TD-d. I will buy another card later, if I need VMs.

Thanks!