Pfsense Vm Supported nic's

Huongalt

Hi How can i find out which NIC are supported by the underlying distro, in this case BSD (i believe) ,,  When i try to install Pfsense it fails to finish  it halts,  with an error stating that warning configuration references interfaces that do not exist :em0 and em1

no interfaces found 

cant continue without at least 1 interface card.

I noticed that very early on in the scrolling text that the following was posted 

"failed to allocate interupts for PCI-e events.."

I have followd the instructions carefully and can see the interface in the other pci devices and can allocate them to the VM.. 

I am using the Intel Corporation 82571EB/82571GB Gigabit Ethernet Controller   and was wondering if it was a driver issue with them not supported oob by BSD, 

Also where can i find the installation log files.  Any thing else i can try ??

Thanks in advance

4 hours ago, testdasi said:

These questions should be posed to the pfsense community. Driver support of pfsense is built by pfsense and not by Unraid.

That i know.. I wanted to know how I could confirm that it was a driver issue or if it was something I may have missed.. can I surmise from your response that it is a driver issue ?  if not I didn't learn anything which is less than helpful :)

Well, I can't speak for the Pfsense driver. However, I noticed more reports of issues with pfsense VM on here lately so I would assume it has something to do with 6.8.0.

If 6.8.0 (stable) doesn't work for you, you can try a few things:

• Wait for 6.9.0-rc1 (coming out imminently) - it has 5.x kernel which has better hardware support in general.
  • Create a new template and use Q35-4.0.1 machine type
  • Downgrade to an older version e.g. 6.7.2

Note: Pfsense driver has nothing to do with Unraid. Unraid can have a driver for it but if Pfsense doesn't or the VM itself doesn't quite work then it won't work. You need to first check with Pfsense if your card is supported.

• 1 month later...

I don't know how are you passing thru network cards to pfSense.
In my case, one card is virtual, it works in bridge mode for LAN access and I had the most problems with it.

I had to change the "model type" in XML file to "e1000" because pfSense didn't recognize (didn't have drivers?) for the default card type (I do not remember what it was).

<interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='52:54:00:d0:37:c1'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <target dev='vnet0'/>
      <model type='e1000'/>  <- this line
      <alias name='net0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x03' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>

Hope it helps.

Regards Janusz