Files missing after disk failure

7 minutes ago, Proximus said:

Hi

My system had a disk failure and I replaced the broken disk. For some reason rebuild did not restore files, also Dockers went missing and 1 share too. Can't figure what went wrong, done it earlier successfully. Dis 2 is the new one and after rebuild there seems to be just a little data.

Any help appreciated.

Diagnostics attached.

image.thumb.png.c014fa1783c0c2644d374d1a6e69e59f.png

popnas-diagnostics-20200106-0923.zip 64.63 kB · 0 downloads

That looks like an empty disk?   Did you at any point in trying to recover the disk do a format (as that would have erased the contents)?   The syslog suggests that you did :(  Do you have a backup of the data?

But I saw some of the files missing before disk change, I thought this was due broken disk. Diags are gone when I powered down for disk change. And no backups in this systems, I lost mainly TV-recordings, nothing critical...

Edited by Proximus
30 minutes ago, Proximus said:

Old disk did not mount, I formatted new disk and then added it to array.

The problem would have been that you were not actually formatting the new disk but Unraid's emulation of the old disk.  The format would have wiped the contents from the emulated disk and updated parity to reflect that.   The subsequent rebuild would just have been restoring the empty file system.   There should have been a warning that a format is never part of any data recovery operation?

2 minutes ago, Proximus said:

So I'm not sure what went wrong, but at least I missed warnings. I formatted the new drive when it was unassigned. Have to play around a bit to remind how it works.

The syslog showed that you formatted the drive Unraid thought was assigned to the array.   It should not have been showing up under Unassigned devices. 

Probably worth remembering that you need to be very careful about issuing any format command while in the middle of any data recovery operation.