(SOLVED) My bad, I guess I never created a backup of my USB config.

I've been running unRAID for quite some time now and I use them as backup servers for my main storage cluster. I just bought some new 8TB drives and decided to shut the server I had plans to upgrade down so I could verify what drives were in it and where they are located on the backplane. I did however take a screenshot of the drive locations, and their serial numbers so I have the order and what SD? they're associate with, if that helps me. I however failed hard as I don't think I ever backed up the config settings, not sure how but I didn't do it on that server.

Jumping ahead 3 days later, I decided to boot the server up to find that the USB drive is haning at bzimage and bzroot. Sometimes it passes the bzimage to bzroot, sometimes it doesn't. It is leading me to think that the Sony USB drive Im using is failing or has failed.

Is the config file on the drive, can I just pull it off the drive if I can mount it in Windows?

The server last time I checked (Screen capture I took) says 29TBs are written to the drives. It is not a huge deal if I had to format all and start over but that is a lot of data to have to move again. 

I am running a Supermicro mainboard on that machine and have read that they sometimes have issues with bzroot hanging. I have another unRAID server running a new Asus mainboard and will test the USB in that machine once it is done doing its preclear on all the new 8TB drive I just bought.

Thanks for letting me know if the configurations are on the USB and what hey are called. 
Ross

Edited by rosswaters
Solved

Thanks itimpi,

I was guessing that was the case after I looked at the USB structure of my other server. Thanks for the confirmation!

I can read and extract all the files with no issues on the USB drive that I thought might be failing. Can I just replace the bzroot file on the USB in question?

I will also attach an image of what it stated after being on for 6 hours. It looks like it goes further if you allow it time.

Thanks again, 
Ross

unraid issue.jpg

Following the advice,

I copied files off the USB drive then did a low level format on the drive to be sure there wasn't an issue with it. I then reinstalled unRAID using their image creator, Unraid.USB.Creator.Win32-1.6. After the image was finished I replaced the config folder . Everything booted up and I am back running on the server that was having issues. I would like to know what caused it but at least it was an easy fix.

It had been 6 plus months since I last rebooted the server and if I wasn't installing a new Areca RAID card for faster VMs and a bigger cache drive on a RAID5 I wouldn't had even had to reboot it at this moment,