3950x needs kernel 5.x for good VM performance?

Astror

Hi everyone, this is my first Unraid system so this could be trivial, but can't find any way to do what I want. I'm running a new system with a Ryzen 3950x and a Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master, two graphics cards (a Geforce GT710 for unraid to boot from and a MSI RX580 Armor 8GB for a Win 10 VM for gaming). Right now I am using Unraid 6.8.1 (started with 6.8.0 five days ago but upgraded just after the stable 6.8.1) and I'v maganed to run a Win 10 VM with the RX580 pass-through, plus a USB controller because I wanted to have usb hotplug (this wasn't easy XD). The thing is that after some testing it seems that I am not getting the performance that I would have expected from the CPU. I have run a CSGO fps test in a win 10 bare metal installation with a 280 fps average as a result, while in the VM (with 12 cores assigned) it gets 230 fps. The task manager always says that the CPU is at  3.5 Ghz, so my first theory was that the VM wasn't boosting the CPU. If that's the case, can it be because the kernel in Unraid 6.8.1 is 4.19?? and if thats the case my main question is: How do I use an Unraid version with a more recent Kernel, say, 5.3?

I know that 6.8 RC7 had a 5.x kernel, and that you could download that with the USB creator not that long ago, but it happened that the very same day that I wanted to install Unraid in this machine, the next branch in the USB creator pointed to 6.8.1, so I just installed 6.8 expecting for it to work fine. It does work fine in general but I expected to have more performance in the VM for gaming. Summing up, right now I'm not sure if there is a problem with the unraid kernel version and the way it uses the CPU or with my expectations of it.

Any ideas, help?

Thanks in advance.

12 minutes ago, Astror said:

Hi everyone, this is my first Unraid system so this could be trivial, but can't find any way to do what I want. I'm running a new system with a Ryzen 3950x and a Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master, two graphics cards (a Geforce GT710 for unraid to boot from and a MSI RX580 Armor 8GB for a Win 10 VM for gaming). Right now I am using Unraid 6.8.1 (started with 6.8.0 five days ago but upgraded just after the stable 6.8.1) and I'v maganed to run a Win 10 VM with the RX580 pass-through, plus a USB controller because I wanted to have usb hotplug (this wasn't easy XD). The thing is that after some testing it seems that I am not getting the performance that I would have expected from the CPU. I have run a CSGO fps test in a win 10 bare metal installation with a 280 fps average as a result, while in the VM (with 12 cores assigned) it gets 230 fps. The task manager always says that the CPU is at  3.5 Ghz, so my first theory was that the VM wasn't boosting the CPU. If that's the case, can it be because the kernel in Unraid 6.8.1 is 4.19?? and if thats the case my main question is: How do I use an Unraid version with a more recent Kernel, say, 5.3?

I know that 6.8 RC7 had a 5.x kernel, and that you could download that with the USB creator not that long ago, but it happened that the very same day that I wanted to install Unraid in this machine, the next branch in the USB creator pointed to 6.8.1, so I just installed 6.8 expecting for it to work fine. It does work fine in general but I expected to have more performance in the VM for gaming. Summing up, right now I'm not sure if there is a problem with the unraid kernel version and the way it uses the CPU or with my expectations of it.

Any ideas, help?

Thanks in advance.

The 6.8 series stable releases are still using a 4.19.x series kernel.   The 6.8 rc7 release DID have a 5.x series kernel but rc8 reverted to a 4.19.x series as described here.

You will need to wait for the 6.9.0 rc series to start to get a 5.x series kernel or revert to 6.8.0 rc7.  Hopefully' the 6.9.0 rc series starts very soon.

1 hour ago, itimpi said:

The 6.8 series stable releases are still using a 4.19.x series kernel.   The 6.8 rc7 release DID have a 5.x series kernel but rc8 reverted to a 4.19.x series as described here.

You will need to wait for the 6.9.0 rc series to start to get a 5.x series kernel or revert to 6.8.0 rc7.  Hopefully' the 6.9.0 rc series starts very soon.

Is there a way to revert to 6.8.0 rc7 from the web gui? I haven't seen any method...

Thanks for the answer :)

• 3 months later...

Hi!

I am doing some reading up on unraid and VMs. Did you have any luck with your setup to get the CPU to boost?

My idea is to use the install for 3D rendering and design work. GPU and CPU performance is quite important so I wonder if you got more information.

Thanks a lot,

Grsh