recommended Board for Ryzen 3600 ? pls Help

I`m currently planning to upgrade my unraid Sever cause my Hardware is realy old - and since i`m playing around with unraid i see a lot of potential.

I want to put also my RTX 2080 into my unraid-server to pass it through to my VM (mostly Win10) - so would be really nice if someone can help me finding the right motherboard for the CPU

(actual running with 3x8TB Array, 1x8TB Parity, 1x1TB SSD Cache, a few Docker like emby and 1 TestVM Win10)

There are so many Boards out there - i really don`t know which one will make the job without trouble...can you pls help ?

Good day,

Disclaimer, I'm also new to unraid so take what I tell you with a grain of salt, having recently done some research for a mother board myself for unraid id like to share what little I know.

Seeing that your considering ryzen 3600, I'd go with a mother board that had onboard VGA, as unraid needs a primary gpu to boot, if you don't you'll end up using one of your precious pcie x16 slot for a lame gpu just to get it to boot, which is not cool.

My recommendation is Asrock X470D4U. Also has IPMI for remote management, no extra license to purchase to get full access to your mobo, (unlike supermicro). Availability of these boards are an issue but they are in and out if stock quickly.

Hope this helps,

Regards,
Shane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 1/13/2020 at 10:50 PM, romibaer said:

I`m currently planning to upgrade my unraid Sever cause my Hardware is realy old - and since i`m playing around with unraid i see a lot of potential.

I want to put also my RTX 2080 into my unraid-server to pass it through to my VM (mostly Win10) - so would be really nice if someone can help me finding the right motherboard for the CPU

(actual running with 3x8TB Array, 1x8TB Parity, 1x1TB SSD Cache, a few Docker like emby and 1 TestVM Win10)

There are so many Boards out there - i really don`t know which one will make the job without trouble...can you pls help ?

I generally recommend Gigabyte mobo for new users because its BIOS allows you to pick which of the PCIe x16 slots as Initial Display Output (i.e. what Unraid boots with).

Given you want to pass through a RTX 2080, chances are you will need a 2nd GPU (a cheapo single-slot like GT710 would work) to dump vbios and avoid error code 43. Having the ability to pick any PCIe x16 for Unraid to boot with allows you put the cheapo on the slowest slot (e.g. the one running at PCIe x4 speed) and reserve the fast slot (1st) slot for the RTX 2080.

• Like 1
On 1/19/2020 at 10:11 PM, Shinta0Saint said:

Good day,

Disclaimer, I'm also new to unraid so take what I tell you with a grain of salt, having recently done some research for a mother board myself for unraid id like to share what little I know.

Seeing that your considering ryzen 3600, I'd go with a mother board that had onboard VGA, as unraid needs a primary gpu to boot, if you don't you'll end up using one of your precious pcie x16 slot for a lame gpu just to get it to boot, which is not cool.

My recommendation is Asrock X470D4U. Also has IPMI for remote management, no extra license to purchase to get full access to your mobo, (unlike supermicro). Availability of these boards are an issue but they are in and out if stock quickly.

Hope this helps,

Regards,
Shane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That seems like a really odd choice if you are concerned about pcie x16 slots, considering it only has two. Many/most boards have three... so sticking a dummy gpu in the 3rd slot is no loss.

There is also the fact that unraid does not require its own gpu. You can passthrough your only/primary gpu just fine.

That being said, there are some conveniences of giving unraid a gpu, so I agree with @testdasi's recommendation. I have a gigabyte x570 board and use a fanless gpu in slot 3 as my primary for unraid.

I would highly recommend a gigabyte x570 board. It's the latest chipset and should get the most updates going forward. It works well with unraid/virtualization. gen4 pcie is a nice bonus and good future-proofing. 

• Like 1