UnRaid - Drive Transfer Speeds

Walt750

I have been testing unraid in trial mode for a few days. I copied files to a share (wired) to the server. I get about 105MB /sec, which is the same as my Raid 5 Array. It doesn't slow down and 20 gigs will scoot right along. Awesome!

I try to read the same file back and it falls apart. I get anywhere from 15megs to 60 megs ... it's just all over the place. 

My unraid setup has 2 drives right now (Parity + Data). Is this transfer rate good for mutliple streams? I have a feeling that 2 x 4k streams will max it out. 

Am I looking at this correctly? Will it get worse as I add more drives? I don't have to worry about this on a 10 Drive Raid .... it just sings!

How did you "read the same file back"? Is there any other IO happening at the same time?

With your current config, read should be the same speed as your data drive and write should be the slower of parity and data.

When you add more data drives, your write speed should slow down but read speed should still be the same as that of whichever drive the data is on.

If RAID is something that suits your needs, why would you move away from it? Can't have your cake and eat it.

I love Cake.... don't you? After reading your comments, I decided to go back and re-run the file transfers. And the results were as good as my RAID 5 Setup. Well 98% anyway ... there were a tiny drops here and there. I'm not sure what happened the first go around. Oh ... and the main reason for wanting to move to Unraid .... it's the ability to just add storage space when I need it. On an regular raid ... I can't do that.

I ran an 8Gb file cut/paste from the Raid 5 File Server to Unraid And then the reverse direction.  At this point ... I'm sold!

Thanks for your feedback!

Edited by Walt750
Add more detail to answer a question
8 hours ago, Walt750 said:

I love Cake.... don't you? After reading your comments, I decided to go back and re-run the file transfers. And the results were as good as my RAID 5 Setup. Well 98% anyway ... there were a tiny drops here and there. I'm not sure what happened the first go around. Oh ... and the main reason for wanting to move to Unraid .... it's the ability to just add storage space when I need it. On an regular raid ... I can't do that.

I ran an 8Gb file cut/paste from the Raid 5 File Server to Unraid And then the reverse direction.  At this point ... I'm sold!

Thanks for your feedback!

That sounds like there were other IO's happening at the same time as when you last did the transfer. Because RAID stripes data, it helps with speed during simultaneous IO. Unraid will behave the same way as you have simultaneous IO on a single HDD i.e. slow.

Edited by testdasi