StarsLight

Best motherboard for AMD 3900x

3 posts in this topic Last Reply

Anyone has experience on the motherboard as below requirement:

1. support 3900x

2. support 128GB

3. at least 5-6 PCIE slot if possible for 24+ harddisk

4. work with latest unRAID

I done researching that most of X570 motherboard supporting 128GB, but I don't really think about this because of heat/power consumption. Hence, I think x470 should be much better.

Getting 5-6 PCIE card slots with a Ryzen series configuration, while not impossible, is going to be really, really rare, if even manufactured at all.  The Ryzen 3000 architecture accommodates 24 lanes, and the x570 chipset has 16 PCIE lanes for a total of 40 total lanes; and that's the best you can do!  This is for everything ... PCIE cards, NVME, SATA buses, USB, LAN, etc.  While it's 'possible' to have this all dedicated to physical PCIE cards, you'd be sacrificing a lot of other computing functionality to get it.  I don't think you're going find a mainstream configuration that will do that.  Possibly years from now when people take old hardware and make new, strangely and unsupported configured boards with them and sell them on AliExpress.

https://www.techpowerup.com/255729/amd-x570-unofficial-platform-diagram-revealed-chipset-puts-out-pcie-gen-4

Compare that to the Threadripper that accommodates 64 lanes (with a x399 chipset).  You will usually only see lots of PCIE lanes on server grade, or near server grade hardware combinations.

You said you wanted to accommodate lots of hard disks with these lanes.  You don't need lots of lanes for lots of hard disks ... especially spinners that max out at ~150MBps on a good day.  Look into Host Bus Adapters (HBAs) and HBA Expanders.

For example, something like the combination of a the LSI 9211-8i and the Intel RES2SV240 SAS 2 Expander.  Wouldn't cost a lot to get a lot.

-JesterEE