X399 motherboard recommendations

I have an Asrock taichi x399 and it’s been pretty solid for for me. See my blog for some build articles and related topics. Feel free to ask any question you might have.

if I was doing it again, I might consider a server board with tr4 support.

Edited by meep

Thanks, I've had a quick scan through your blog. Plenty of reading to be done and some great articles for me to return to.

I think I've narrowed it down to the GIGABYTE X399 DESIGNARE or Asrock taichi x399 unless there are any other suggestions I should be looking at.  Asrock taichi x399 is the cheaper option so I'll probably go with this.

I'm sure I'll have more questions in the future.

I can recommend the Designare EX. The key benefit is you can pick the middle PCIe slot (the one x16 physical running at PCIe 2.0 x4) as intial display so you can put a single slot low end GPU there for Unraid to boot with. That helps tremendously with passthrough.

Shameless plug: have a look at my build below:

• 3 months later...
14 minutes ago, SimonG said:

Anyone share their bios settings for the Asrock Taichi X399?

I've enabled IOMMU and tweaked the fan settings. Anything else? 

So far I haven't been able to get it to boot with XMP enabled.

I’ve had trouble with memory on this board. Was fine with 4x 16gb sticks, but when I added another 4x 8GB, I had a torrid time trying to find the correct slot order and timings. Ended up under clocking, I think. Though it’s been solid for a while now.

ill try to capture bios setting, I really should record them for myself in any case.

Thanks I also like to record my working bios settings or at least the changes made against the defaults.

I too have 4x16gb (Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz C16). I'm not looking to overclock, was just hoping to set XMP and leave it at that.

17 hours ago, SimonG said:

Thanks I also like to record my working bios settings or at least the changes made against the defaults.

I too have 4x16gb (Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz C16). I'm not looking to overclock, was just hoping to set XMP and leave it at that.

Heres a recording of all my settings. Most are default. I'm really sorry this is so soft, it looked fine on. the DSLR screen , but I was obviously a tad out on focus. I'll try to do it again (for myself) next time I need to reboot. It might be of some help if you can follow along;

1 hour ago, meep said:

Heres a recording of all my settings. Most are default. I'm really sorry this is so soft, it looked fine on. the DSLR screen , but I was obviously a tad out on focus. I'll try to do it again (for myself) next time I need to reboot. It might be of some help if you can follow along;

Thanks. I should be able to follow most of it, so don't feel you have to repeat for me.  

Next time I reboot I'll compare your settings with mine.

Here's a list of all the changes you've made in the BIOS against the default.

Having read your build blog most of the changes are straight forward however there's a few I'd still like to understand your rationale for making the change.

- Suspend to RAM

- Platform first error handling

- Global C-state (Is this for stability?)

- Power supply idle control 

- opcache control

- PCI x16

OC Tweaker
      Load XMP Setting: auto -> XMP 2.0 Profile 1
      DRAM Frequency: DDR-2400
Advanced
      Northbridge
           IOMMU: disabled -> enabled
      Southbridge
           Onboard HD Audio: enabled -> disabled
           WAN radio: enabled -> disabled
           BT: auto -> off
      ACPI
           Suspend to RAM: auto -> disabled
      AMD CBS
          Zen common
               Platform first error handling:  disabled -> auto
               Global C-state: auto -> disabled
               Power supply idle control:  auto -> typical current idle
               opcache control: auto -> disabled
      AMD PBS
               PCI x16: auto -> Gen2
               PCI Slot1: x16 Mode -> x4x4x4x4 mode
H/W Monitor
      Fan Settings: Standard Mode -> performance mode

On 5/31/2020 at 5:11 PM, meep said:

Did you get a chance to look at my most recent post?

2 hours ago, SimonG said:

Did you get a chance to look at my most recent post?

Hi @SimonG

Apologies, for some reason this forum does not auto-subscribe me to threads I post in, and I only get notifications if someone quotes or @'s me. Apologies for missing your query.

- Suspend to RAM

I'm not sure why I would have changed this. My server runs 24/7 with no sleep so this is totally irrelevant to me. (I did toy with sleep some months ago, but it was not a good experience, this may be related to that experiment)

- Platform first error handling

- Global C-state (Is this for stability?)

- Power supply idle control 

- opcache control

I used to run 4x 16GB sticks of RAM and all was well. I added 4x8GB sticks of exactly the same RAM and introduced significant instability in the system. Around the same time, I installed some drives in an external chassis and linked the two systems with SAS SFF cables. This was also a bit flakey. All of the above changes were changes I made in response to research on these stability issues. As it happens, the system has been running very solidly for about 2 months now with both the new RAM and the external chassis, so I retained these settings as one or a combination of them resolved my issues (it was the kind of problem where I had to make a small change, and let the system run for a few days to assess stability, so this is obviously the magic combo for me)

- PCI x16

I run a bifurcation adapter that splits the 16x slot into 4x 4x slots. This is the setting that makes this work (see this blog post)

Hope that helps.