which ryzen would be good for a Plex. file server and few vms

comet424

hi   my current unraid server is a I7-3820 3.6ghz 4 core

I have Plex, a few vms  running but I shut others off to play with..  also holds my files I got like 34TB storage  wanting to add more

so I wanna upgrade to a Ryzen..  my current desktop is a Ryzen 3600..

id like to be able to Stream 3-4 Plex streams at once  still be able to access files  to work with... and run my vms.. perferable all full bandwith but im sure that cant be done..

but what would be best bang for your buck to handle these.

oh and if I wanted say 10 streams of Plex at once...  can unraid handle it  or is it tax'd too much..  the filesystem.  like would you need raid capabilities like freenas..    and or do you need like a dual cpu board or a cpu that has like 22 cores like the 1 Intel CPU

I just like to future proof for a while  sp I don't wanna upgrade again for another 5-7 yrs or so

and I read about Plex using a Video card to render video  can the CPU not do it 

and I have a Gigabyte  HD 7950  video card is that good enough for video rendering? as I watched byte my bits videos and he uses a 2000 model card

and if a ryzen not good enough what be good intel  way

Edited by comet424
  • 1 month later...

I ended up 

using 32Gig AData XPG Ram

Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus Board

Ryzen 3600 

and an old video card  just so I have access to the bios when it boots up  as I don't need transcoding as I watch everything on the local network

seems ok still kinda slow..    

I dunno if a Gen3x4 candy bar SSD be faster for plex etc then my Sata WD SSD..

as you gotta wait for Hard drive spin up... and I never know if unraid is fast to do multiple streams   of watching as so far I only one watching from the plex server..  as  I read stripping better  then just single disk.. or never spin down drives I never know 

but that is my current setup  seems to be working ok so far

and the only issue I found is  Asus X570 boards the temperature sensors no longer work

and it must be a X570 issue    SATA SSDS are slower then they supposed to be so if you had a Intel CPU

and had a WD Sata SSD getting 560/530mbs   you will now get speeds of 460/430mbs     and if you got a MSI Gaming Plus x570 board

its even slower it runs in the 300mbs  with that same SSD  and even when you buy a brand new blank SSD  slow speeds..   so you may not notice it  but it seems to be a defect maybe in X570s  as  NVME work close to the same speed.. and hard drives well they work  as they only getting 250mbs anyways speeds