Has my USB drive failed?

pursute

Hi All,

I have been planning to build an unRAID server for some time and have finally got around to it.

Hardware:

ASUS A8N-SLI

AMD X2 4400

2GB RAM

256MB SanDisk Cruzer Micro

1x WD20EARS

1x WD10EACS

2x Seagate 500GB

1x WD5000AACS

HighPoint RocketRAID 1640

After a bunch of testing and playing about I decided to buy a licence yesterday so that I could get it set up with more than 3 disks. I bought a Plus licence and got my key within 30 mins (Thanks Tim!).

After dropping the key file on my USB drive, I booted the server and configured it, successfully turning on user level security and adding a couple of user shares. Happy that it was working, I then shutdown, and added three more drives (the 500GB ones, all on the RocketRAID 1640) and booted again.

The server booted fine, however once connected to the web interface, I noticed that it was running as the 'basic' version. On checking the devices tab, I discovered that the USB GUID is all messed up:

Flash Vendor: SanDisk

Flash Product: Cruzer_Micro

Flash GUID: 05E3-0704- - -?a?

Registered GUID: 0781-7113-0000-000002120488 Wrong

I have tried the following since discovering the problem:

- Returned the server hardware to exactly as it was when I successfully configured the User Shares

- Re-formatted, and prepared the USB drive with both unRAID 4.5.6 and 4.6

- Tried all available USB ports

Have I fried my USB drive? Or have I made some other silly mistake?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi All,

I have been planning to build an unRAID server for some time and have finally got around to it.

Hardware:

ASUS A8N-SLI

AMD X2 4400

2GB RAM

256MB SanDisk Cruzer Micro

1x WD20EARS

1x WD10EACS

2x Seagate 500GB

1x WD5000AACS

HighPoint RocketRAID 1640

After a bunch of testing and playing about I decided to buy a licence yesterday so that I could get it set up with more than 3 disks. I bought a Plus licence and got my key within 30 mins (Thanks Tim!).

After dropping the key file on my USB drive, I booted the server and configured it, successfully turning on user level security and adding a couple of user shares. Happy that it was working, I then shutdown, and added three more drives (the 500GB ones, all on the RocketRAID 1640) and booted again.

The server booted fine, however once connected to the web interface, I noticed that it was running as the 'basic' version. On checking the devices tab, I discovered that the USB GUID is all messed up:

Flash Vendor: SanDisk

Flash Product: Cruzer_Micro

Flash GUID: 05E3-0704- - -?a?

Registered GUID: 0781-7113-0000-000002120488 Wrong

I have tried the following since discovering the problem:

- Returned the server hardware to exactly as it was when I successfully configured the User Shares

- Re-formatted, and prepared the USB drive with both unRAID 4.5.6 and 4.6

- Tried all available USB ports

Have I fried my USB drive? Or have I made some other silly mistake?

Thanks in advance for any help.

since this is a brand new server I'd start by doing a memory test.  If it is not working properly, there's no way the GUID will be correct.

I'd try booting a different PC with the flash drive. (You don't have to assign any disks) You can look at the devices page to see the GUID.

Worst case send Tom @ lime-tech an e-mail.  he is very helpful.

Thanks for the reply Joe.

The USB drive boots properly on other hardware, and has a valid GUID, so I suspect you are correct in pointing the finger at RAM.

Also, while I was trying to do a memory test, the PSU failed. :( That'll teach me to use second hand stuff.

At least it's a good excuse to get some shiny new hardware.

Thanks again for your help.

Archived