Transcoding from Unraid Server

Plugged Up

I will be building an unraid server to provide extra storage form my Dune Max.  All Blu-Rays will be ripped at full quality.  But I have an ipad and a standard def tv I wouldn't mind streaming these files to on occasion.  Rather then rip twice, full and lossy quality compatable files, is it possibly to transcode direct from the unraid server?  I know how to set up transcoding from my PC, but not sure if this is possible on the unraid server  which is where my video collection will be at in the future.

I will be building an unraid server to provide extra storage form my Dune Max.  All Blu-Rays will be ripped at full quality.  But I have an ipad and a standard def tv I wouldn't mind streaming these files to on occasion.  Rather then rip twice, full and lossy quality compatable files, is it possibly to transcode direct from the unraid server?  I know how to set up transcoding from my PC, but not sure if this is possible on the unraid server  which is where my video collection will be at in the future.

Airvideo and PS3MS will do on the fly transcoding, though I am not sure how well they will work for BluRay content.  It may depend on how you rip the BluRay from the disk and save it to the unRAID server.

I would just have full quality MKV files that I would want to stream at a lower quality file type (could be a lower quality MKV or AVI) to devices that can't handle full BD quality video files.  Now that I am thinking about it, this is probably impossible.  I'll most likely end up making a separate folder for a second copy of lower quality MKV rips.  The good news is low quality files don't take much space.

Archived