Replacing current unraid server

I'm currently running an old S5500BC motherboard with dual xeon x5675 processors. The server has a warning light on constantly and Unraid fix common problems reports back often with machine errors. I think it's time for a new, more efficient server. My server is mainly used for plex and runs a couple of websites

The two processors have a combined passmark of around 12,000 but the single core performance is pretty bad. Plex struggles sometimes of H264 transcoding and it's maxing out a single core.

Would I see better performance on something like a Ryzen 5 2600? And would it be fine to run a desktop cpu and without ECC ram as a server? For the upgrade i'd only need a motherboard, cpu, ram and case.

Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Edited by jmmrly
  • Like 1

Yes, it would be fine for Unraid to run on non-enterprise-grade hardware. That's one of the main selling points of Unraid i.e. no need ECC, no need Xeon/Epyc, no need IPMI.

Before spending on the upgrade though, have you done any optimisation? What is your H264 bit rate? Any subtitle?

From my experience, usually maxing out on a single core with Plex is due to subtitle format (e.g. PGS / Vobsub) and/or incorrect core pinning and/or bad drive (high IO wait -> hang -> 100% load)

An alternative you might consider (instead of essentially buying a new server) is perhaps hardware transcoding e.g. get an Nvidia Quadro P2000 - you will have to run the unofficial Unraid Nvidia build but many run it without any problem at all (+ will need Plex premium membership).

Upgrading to the Ryzen 5 2600 should offer improvement but there are some alternatives to consider before you want to go drastic.

Of course if you are already planning to upgrade (considering your CPU came out in 2011) then just go for it I guess.

Edited by testdasi