root@Tower:/# ls -al /mnt/next
total 0
drwxrwxr-x  2 nobody users   0 Dec 28 20:31 /mnt/next/
root@Tower:/mnt# mount /dev/sde1 /mnt/next
mount: unknown filesystem type 'ext3'
root@Tower:/mnt# mount -t ext3 /dev/sde1 /mnt/next
root@Tower:/mnt#      

- Is it really possible that the latest and greatest version of unRAID does not support ext3 (journalling)?

I am trying to mount an USB enclosure with an ext3 formatted drive with contents, in order to do some

repairs (fsck) on it, and then copy data into my test array.

- How do I mount ext3 for r+w use?

I have read that you can use a pre-existing HDD with contents to create an unRAID array, and then set the parity drive and let it rebuild... However no where do I see what kind of HDD formats (ntfs, fat32, ext2, ext3, reiserfs) are permitted.

- Is reiserfs the only one allowed, or do other types get converted to reiserfs?

Disk /dev/sde: 1500.3 GB, 1500301910016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 182401 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xb06661f7

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sde1               1      182401  1465136001   83  Linux
root@Tower:/# ls -al /mnt/next
total 0
drwxrwxr-x  2 nobody users   0 Dec 28 20:31 /mnt/next/
root@Tower:/mnt# mount /dev/sde1 /mnt/next
root@Tower:/mnt# mount -t ext3 /dev/sde1 /mnt/next
root@Tower:/mnt#      

- Is it really possible that the latest and greatest version of unRAID does not support ext3 (journalling)?

I am trying to mount an USB enclosure with an ext3 formatted drive with contents, in order to do some

repairs (fsck) on it, and then copy data into my test array.

- How do I mount ext3 for r+w use?

You cannot mount it as an ext3.  5.0b2 has only ext2.

I have read that you can use a pre-existing HDD with contents to create an unRAID array, and then set the parity drive and let it rebuild... However no where do I see what kind of HDD formats (ntfs, fat32, ext2, ext3, reiserfs) are permitted.

You read wrong.  You can mount and read those drives to migrate content to an unRAID array, but all disks in the unRAID protected array are  reiserfs, and all use a single partition starting on sector 63 and extending for the full extent of the drive.

- Is reiserfs the only one allowed, or do other types get converted to reiserfs?

Nothing is "converted" anything other than expected is completely re-partitioned and, if a parity disk already is installed, cleared (written entirely with zeros).

A good guess might be that 5.0b3 will have ext3 support, as ext3 support was briefly in a 4.6release-candidate before 4.6final was released, but only lime-technology knows for sure.  It is supposed to be released any day now. See here: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=9703.0

Joe L.

So for the sake of clarity, a recommended procedure for new users would be:

- add blank drives that you want to be in the final array, and let unRAID format it.

- mount external drives with your content (but ext3 mounted as ext2 read-only)

- copy the contents to the blank drives

- now assign the parity drive and let unRAID work overnight to "fix" the array

- ... wait patiently until done next day ...

- if all is good, now you can re-use one of the HDDs that had content and any to the array

as a new disk, letting unRAID format it.

Can unRAID use and work with a new HDD that has content on it but previously formatted in a linux server as reiserfs?

is 5.03b expected to recognize WD Green drive formatted with linux or Windows 7?

in 5.03b, will we be able to use WD Green drives in the array by letting unRAID format it?

is 5.03b expected to recognize WD Green drive formatted with linux or Windows 7?

If by formatted AND be able to be added to the array without requiring the drive to be wiped them NO.  unRAID 5.0b3 will still use reiserfs and require the drive to be formatted by unRAID itself.

in 5.03b, will we be able to use WD Green drives in the array by letting unRAID format it?

Yes, you will not need the jumper on the WD drives (or any 4K sector drives) anymore with 5.0b3.

You will, for now at least and probably the forseable future need a reiserfs disk formatted by unRAID for use in an unRAID system.

Archived