Plugin Dependencies - Bad Form?

Hi Programmers - First post, be gentle!

I'm dabbling with a new plugin related to VMs, and learning as I go. Looking at the Dynamix-VM-Manager plugin, there's a bunch of functions buried in helper includes that are perfect for what I need to do (generating lists of GPU, USB and PCI devices).

Just wondering if it's considered good practice or bad form to call such functions directly from within my own plugin. Otherwise, I'd need to spend a lot of time writing exactly the same thing myself.

Advice appreciated.

1 hour ago, meep said:

Hi Programmers - First post, be gentle!

I'm dabbling with a new plugin related to VMs, and learning as I go. Looking at the Dynamix-VM-Manager plugin, there's a bunch of functions buried in helper includes that are perfect for what I need to do (generating lists of GPU, USB and PCI devices).

Just wondering if it's considered good practice or bad form to call such functions directly from within my own plugin. Otherwise, I'd need to spend a lot of time writing exactly the same thing myself.

Advice appreciated.

CA / FCP does this very extensively (with the dynamix.docker.manager and dynamix.plugin.manager) 

Only thing you have to be aware of is that there is no guarantee that the functions you want don't change from unRaid version to version.  Although this is very rare.

• Thanks 1