reset libvirtd to default

I've been experimenting heavily with VM services... to that end I screwed things up... can't get a vm to install because the novnc goes blank shortly after the process starts. Something about a tainted kernel... ugh.

I deleted libvirtd.img... and start and stopped things, but no joy. Don't mind losing the VM's as I'm still in experimental stage.

I installed the libvirt docker to try and get VNC displays to work properly, but I fear I stepped on something.

diags attached. Happy to reset vm service back to default... if there is a way.

buckyu-diagnostics-20200503-1345.zip

thanks for the suggestion but did not work. I disabled docker and booted in safe mode.

Trying to do a minimal install of fedora, and alas screen goes black after responding to boot menu. The kde logo comes on for about 10 seconds before it goes blank.

I am running virt manager on my local pc to get experience with the libvirt technology. I'm going to leave VM's alone on the server at this time... So interested in returning back to default... at least be able to install a linux guest even if the display is stuck at low res.

Many thanks...

could be something to do with tainted kernel ?

>>>

-device qxl-vga,id=video0,ram_size=67108864,vram_size=67108864,vram64_size_mb=0,vgamem_mb=16,max_outputs=1,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x1 \
-device virtio-balloon-pci,id=balloon0,bus=pci.4,addr=0x0 \
-sandbox on,obsolete=deny,elevateprivileges=deny,spawn=deny,resourcecontrol=deny \
-msg timestamp=on
2020-05-04 22:39:21.581+0000: Domain id=2 is tainted: high-privileges
2020-05-04 22:39:21.581+0000: Domain id=2 is tainted: host-cpu
char device redirected to /dev/pts/1 (label charserial0)

>>

How do I recover ?

NoVnc goes blank shortly after starting the vm creation process ?

Maybe do a complete new install and copy over the key... that might clear this up... but is a drastic measure.

Edited by bucky2076

this is working again. web gui is able to view activity of a minimal vm.

Solution was drastic i'm afraid

• Killed all vm images, and libvirt.img
  • Downgraded to latest stable (from beta)
  • used only a single cpu as per default selection in vm creation.
  • killed the domains share, and created a new version of it calling something else
  • updated vm manager to use new share
  • Safe boot

I am going to lay off vms for a while and concentrate on docker, whcih looks cleaner imo

one of these things worked... a difficult problem to be sure.

Edited by bucky2076