MSI RS480M - Will it work?

Hi all,

I've wanted to dabble in unRAID for a bit, but haven't really had the time or cash to drop on it.  I recently re-purposed an older machine and was thinking that it might provide some of the parts needed to build a small unRAID.  I'm mostly concerned with the motherboard, as I know the RAM and Proc. are ok.  Here are the specs: 

CPU

• Supports 64-bit AMD® Athlon™ 64 , Sempron™ and Turion™ 64 processor (Socket 754) - I have a 3200 for it

Chipset 

• ATI® Radeon XPRESS 200 Chipset

• ATI® SB400 Chipset

On-Board IDE / SATA

• An IDE controller on the ATI® SB400 chipset provides IDE HDD/CDROM with PIO, Bus

Master and Ultra DMA 66/100/133 operation modes

- Can connect up to 4 IDE devices

• Serial ATA/150 controller integrated by ATI® SB400

- Up ot 150MB/s transfer rate

- Can connect up to 4 serial ATA devices

- Supports RAID 0 or RAID 1

Audio

• AC97 link controller integrated in ATI® SB400

LAN

• Realtek® 8100C

So what do you all think?  Give it a shot and see what happens, or forget it because it won't work.  Right now I'm sitting around 3 to 4 TB of data total spread over four or five drives, so this won't be a monster build.  Just something to put a relatively small amount of data on to keep it backed up.  Thanks for any input.

Dave

Give it a try, it can't hurt!!

prepare a flash drive and boot from it.  Then you can check to see if everything seems to be working correctly, even without drives connected.  I would run a memtest and make sure the network card works (open the unRAID webUI page).

If that all comes up you should be good to try adding drives and the like.

Take a look at the Hardware Compatibility Page for the chipsets and see if they are listed.  It will give you an idea is similar boards have worked or not worked.

Give it a try, it can't hurt!!

prepare a flash drive and boot from it.  Then you can check to see if everything seems to be working correctly, even without drives connected.  I would run a memtest and make sure the network card works (open the unRAID webUI page).

If that all comes up you should be good to try adding drives and the like.

Take a look at the Hardware Compatibility Page for the chipsets and see if they are listed.  It will give you an idea is similar boards have worked or not worked.

Prostuff,

I gave it a shot last night.  It passed the memtest and everything seems good.  Tonight I'll throw some drives in it and see how it goes. 

Thanks,

Dave