Copy to server hangs

I've been having a problem for a while now where a copy up to a share hangs at the very end.  It'll get close to the end, hang on the last 2-5 seconds for minutes then eventually fail.  Sometimes the file has actually copied, other times it is a true failure.

Client is OSX 10.14 (Mojave) with a hardwired gigabit connection.  Share connection is via SMB.  Unraid is 6.8.3.  Share is set to not use cache.  Array has plenty of space available.  Usually I see the failure on large 10-20+ GB files.  Tonight I'm seeing it on a 2GB file.  I saw it on an 8GB file earlier today too where it "failed" but actually hadn't.

I know the server isn't loosing it's network connection - it has had a rsync running without hiccups for a few weeks now.  It's also the center of a VPN cloud and there's no interruptions there.

Processor is AMD Ryzen 3700X with 64GB ram.  There's lots of unused CPU and RAM when it fails so I don't expect that is an issue.

I can also SCP the file up to the server flawlessly, it's just much more of a hassle to do that.  I expect it's some sort of SMB related issue, I'm just not sure what.

Thanks!

• 7 months later...

Hello, have you managed to pin point the source of the problem since then? i have the same issue. I am running MacOS 10.13.6 with unraid 6.8.3. I have a cache ssd so when i copy it end up on the SSD.  at first i was thinking it was due to not all of my devices had the same MTU. so i set everything to MTU 1500 standard. unfortunately no change. it still hangs for a minute or two. eventually will fail with a error -36. but not always.