Build advices?

Efmprof

Hi guys!

I'm planning to assemble my first Unraid Server and I need your advice!
It's going to be a family photo/video storage. At the same time I want to use Plex, HomeAssistant, PiHole, OpenVPN, one or two VMs and host several sites on it (Just for myself. There won't be any traffic.)

Current build:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G
MB: ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4 (the cheapest one)

RAM: Goodram IRDM X 2x4GB  Kingston HyperX FURY Black [HX426C16FB3K2/16] 2x8 GB

PSU: be quiet! Pure Power 11 500W [BN293]  be quite! SYSTEM POWER 9 500W [BN246]

HDs: 4xWD Red [WD40EFRX] (2 of them will be Parity disks)

SSD for VMs etc.: Crucial BX500 [CT240BX500SSD1]

(!!! I know about eBay, but the shipping cost to my country is insane, so I'm looking for what I can buy in an ordinary computer store)

Do you have any thoughts about it? Isn't the CPU too powerful for my needs? Shall I look towards something like G5900?

Edited by Efmprof

Your hardware list looks fine and not much different than mine.  I would not go with a slower CPU, the 3200G isn't very powerful with 4 cores and threads.  I am about to swap my 2200G our for a Ryzen 5 1600AF.  I would double the ram when you can, it makes a difference IMO.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, SirReal63 said:

Your hardware list looks fine and not much different than mine.  I would not go with a slower CPU, the 3200G isn't very powerful with 4 cores and threads.  I am about to swap my 2200G our for a Ryzen 5 1600AF.  I would double the ram when you can, it makes a difference IMO.

Thanks for the advice. 
Yeah, I wondered about RAM too. I wasn't sure how much I needed and decided to go with 8 gigs thinking that any time I add more.

Would avoid WD Reds at that capacity now that they have dumped their archive drives into the Red line.

It is highly unsuitable for NAS systems using ZFS, and will likely also have significant performance impacts on parity operations and disk rebuild in Unraid.

IMHO, look at the 8TB or greater WD Reds, 4TB WD Red Pros, or get the 4TB Seagate Ironwolf.

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, tjb_altf4 said:

Would avoid WD Reds at that capacity now that they have dumped their archive drives into the Red line.

It is highly unsuitable for NAS systems using ZFS, and will likely also have significant performance impacts on parity operations and disk rebuild in Unraid.

IMHO, look at the 8TB or greater WD Reds, 4TB WD Red Pros, or get the 4TB Seagate Ironwolf.

I've heard about the problem with WD Reds, but I also found out this only applies to "EFAX" and I wanted to use "EFRX". Anyway, thanks for your suggestion, I'll consider it.

UPD:

Changed: PSU to "be quite! SYSTEM POWER 9 500W [BN246]", RAM to "Kingston HyperX FURY Black 2x8 GB"

Added: Crucial BX500 [CT240BX500SSD1] for VMs

Edited by Efmprof