Intel SS4200 - Completely headless install

Porklaser

I'd love to get unraid working on this machine as it's an ideal match for my needs. I really like the unraid storage solution and how it boots from a USB drive (Leaving the storage drives nicely untouched!)

I've got an Intel SS4200 NAS w/ 4x 1TB WD Green 5400rpm hard drives. Upgraded the memory to 2GB

The internal DOM has been pulled.

I know the system works in this configuration as I've had the beta of the new WHS running (Which I've fallen out of love with due to MS's recent announcements)

I've also added a serial port, as the bios is available over console redirection and I'm able to make the USB the default boot device, change settings, etc with a serial console. Without any modifications I can see the boot loader loading, but the console stops displaying information as soon as the kernel loads. (COM1, default speed 115200)

Unfortunately unraid doesn't seem to fully load as network connectivity doesn't seem to ever get going. It doesn't request a lease from my DHCP server, and it doesn't respond if I give it a static address via that settings file

I don't have the means to attach a video card to the thing to get it going, unfortunately.

I am able to see messages from the kernel loading if I pass

console=ttyS0,115200n8

To the kernel but output stops after that and I don't get a shell.

Any help would be appreciated!

Archived