X470 Taichi 3900x upgrade

Taichi x470 MB, bios version 1.50 with 32gb ram.

I gave my son my old 2600 and replaced it with a 3900x.  Here is how I did it.

1) I downloaded all the bios upgrades to my laptop.

2) One by one I extracted the bios upgrades and got them into the root of the flash.

BTW the flash upgrade in the bios does search through directories so that step is likely unnecessary. But I did it that way.

3) I booted into the bios and did the flash upgrade, one by one in order.  I only had one bios file on the flash at a time.  No idea whether that is necessary but it seemed prudent.

4) The final bios level was UEFI P3.90

I did not attempt to boot after each bios upgrade.  That would have been prudent but I did not.  After the final bios flash I tried to boot into UnRaid and it failed to boot. 

My son was building a brand new computer using my 2600 processor, so we just got his new computer working.

This morning I put my 3900x in and it still failed to boot.  It turned out that the new bios had set a boot order which tried to boot to the usb drive through:

Uefi: Sandisk (my usb stick)

some other disk

some other disk

usb: Sandisk (my usb stick)

Knowing that the unraid would only boot off the usb stick, I removed the "other disks" entries entirely from the boot order, then I moved the USB: Sandisk

to the top boot position and the system booted right up.

I have only had it up for a few hours but it is stable so far.  

BTW My 16GB GSkill TridentZ memory sticks that I could only get stable at 2800  with the 2600 processor now runs at 3200.    Yaaa.  I haven't tried to see if I can get them running even higher.  3200 is one of the entries in the table though so getting it higher might still not work.

Edited by jwcolby54
spelling etc.