How to fix a broken connector

Very unusual for 2 drives to fail at the same time. The clicking sound you are hearing may or may not be related to the problem.

I think what I would do is remove disk1 from the machine and install it in another machine. You could use an external enclosure. There is software you need to install (wiki has link) to be able to read the RFS data from the drive. If you can't access the data on a second machine you will have greater confidence that the drive really is the problem.

Unfortunately BW has two of the famous Seagate bad drives - just Google for ST_M13FQBL and you will see for yourself.

Apparently there is a possible solution here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/128807-the-solution-for-seagate-720011-hdds/

and the "Read me first" here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/143880-seagate-barracuda-720011-read-me-first/

Where are you located - maybe some local knowledgeable person can help you more.

Good luck

Unfortunately BW has two of the famous Seagate bad drives - just Google for ST_M13FQBL and you will see for yourself.

Apparently there is a possible solution here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/128807-the-solution-for-seagate-720011-hdds/

and the "Read me first" here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/143880-seagate-barracuda-720011-read-me-first/

Where are you located - maybe some local knowledgeable person can help you more.

Good luck

Do you think I have to go this route or replacing PCB?

I am not confidence to do the procedure above. I need help if I have to do it. I am in Mobile, AL area.

Thanks!

BW

Yes, the PCB guys (2 different sources) just told me that swapping PCB won't work. They suspect the problem is the firmware. I got to follow bcbgboy13 direction.

I am gathering tools, strength, courages, and a lot of luck now before performing that procedure.  :( I'll let you guys know how it come up.

Wish me luck!

BW

Yes, the PCB guys (2 different sources) just told me that swapping PCB won't work. They suspect the problem is the firmware. I got to follow bcbgboy13 direction.

I am gathering tools, strength, courages, and a lot of luck now before performing that procedure.  :( I'll let you guys know how it come up.

Wish me luck!

BW

Yes, nowadays the PCB itself is tied to the individual drive and simply changing them wont work.

What you should do IMHO

1. Take out the two defective drives (parity and disk 1) from your server and mark them as to a parity and data - you do not need to power them anymore and risk a further data damage and do not touch for now your server.

2. Take down the exact model, serial numbers, manufacturing date and other pertinent info and contact Seagate ASAP as your drives may still be under warranty.

After they acknowledged the problem they offered a free "data recovery services" to the affected customers. However I believe they did offer this for only a limited subset of the affected drives, claiming that the others did not suffer.

If you are lucky you may qualify for this free offer - if possible check to see if you keep your old invoices, packing lists or credit cards statements in order to find the exact data of purchase just in case or if Seagate requires them.

Do not touch your unraid server until you know the outcome of this possible "warranty" claims.

If Seagate refuses to help you then at least ask for their going rate for data recovery - it may be inexpensive given that this is possibly only "stuck" firmware issue.

Gather few other quotes from a data recovery labs but let them know that you may have the Seagate "bug" - at this point you care only about the data drive.

It is possible that some of them quote you only $50-100. It is up to you to decide it is worth it or you are going to do it yourself.

If finally you decide to do it yourself then read a lot first before attempting to do it. At some point you probably will have to attach the disks to a Windows computer to see exactly what problems you have as the different problems and symptoms require a different solutions. It is a good idea to start with the parity disk first to build experience and if successful you may buy another 1.5GB disk, preclear it and then try to recover the data before a attempting the data recovery on the original disk 1.

Good luck