plex odd transcode behavior

I've got a repeatable odd transcode issue. If I change the playback settings in my plex desktop app or web browser from direct play to a lower bitrate, it will work for a second then shutdown the stream. However if I immediately move the time slider to another point in the film, after a couple of seconds, playback will work at the new lower bitrate.

So the transcode works, but only if I intervene right after dropping the bitrate and change the position of playback. On my iPhone however, it works flawlessly. Also if I download videos using plexpass to my iphone they transcode fine and I can see nvidia-smi reporting the transcode processes.

I'm on Unraid 6.9beta22 custom build with nvidia 440.82 and some AMD flr patches for passthrough to VM. I'm using a dedicated 1050Ti for HW transcoding. I've got a plexpass.

Here are my binhex plex parameters (using letsencrypt reverse proxy, nvidia settings & /transcode to /tmp)

root@localhost:# /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/scripts/docker run -d --name='binhex-plex' --net='proxynet' --cpuset-cpus='2,3,8,9' -e TZ="America/New_York" -e HOST_OS="Unraid" -e 'TRANS_DIR'='/tmp' -e 'UMASK'='000' -e 'PUID'='99' -e 'PGID'='100' -e 'NVIDIA_DRIVER_CAPABILITIES'='all' -e 'NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES'='GPU-ed8412e1-3d3d-9a6e-b968-08ac70861ab6' -p '32400:32400/tcp' -v '/mnt/user/media/':'/media':'rw' -v '/tmp':'/transcode':'rw' -v '/mnt/user/appdata/binhex-plex':'/config':'rw' --runtime=nvidia 'binhex/arch-plex' 
6d4f4ba43aba423cf836ab933025e7347ae78f046ff4f0b090d708a2d8f08360

The command finished successfully!

The plex error log is attached below, but a recurring error during the 6 second event is:

Codecs: hardware transcoding: opening hw device failed - probably not supported by this system, error: Generic error in an external library 

unraidnas-diagnostics-20200720-0954.zip plex log error.txt

Edited by bigbangus
poor spelling and grammer