Cache SSD hiccup

Hello all, 

I thought I had made sound progress yesterday with setting up unraid, I followed several of Spaceinvader One's excellent guides. 

I left Binhex's Sabnzbdvpn running over night, however this morning my cache SSD is full and when I click "mover" nothing happens. I also have mover set to run hourly. 

I have double checked my settings and everything is in line with the tutorials, especially the downloads folder cache option being set to "prefer".

I note however that when set to prefer, the text next to it says "Mover transfers files from array to cache", however when I set the cache option to "yes", the text says "Mover transfers files from cache to array". Setting it to yes is the only way I can get mover working and my files to transfer from the cache to the array, however I have a suspicion that things are downloading to the array then moved to cache then moved back to the array.....however that could just be me going crazy after trying to fix this problem for so long at this time in the morning. 

I'm a little bit stumped if someone could point me in the right direction. I've done my best to review similar threads however I'm still stuck where I am. 

Many thanks. 

Screenshot_20200723-054943_Brave.jpg

Screenshot_20200723-055011_Brave.jpg

Hi,

Setting it to "Prefer" indicates that all new files and subdirectories should be written to the Cache disk/pool, provided enough free space exists on the Cache disk/pool. If there is insufficient space on the Cache disk/pool, then new files and directories are created on the array. When the mover is invoked, files and subdirectories are transferred off the array and onto the Cache disk/pool.

"Yes" indicates that all new files and subdirectories should be written to the Cache disk/pool, provided enough free space exists on the Cache disk/pool. If there is insufficient space on the Cache disk/pool, then new files and directories are created on the array. When the mover is invoked, files and subdirectories are transferred off the Cache disk/pool and onto the array.

I will suggest to keep it prefer and try to move completed downloads to the final destination such as Media (Movies and Shows) to keep the "downloads" share free as much as possible.

• Thanks 1

Hi, 

Many thanks for your reply. 

Spaceinvader One recommended "prefer" also, which as you mentioned means; "When the mover is invoked, files and subdirectories are transferred off the array and onto the Cache disk/pool". Shouldn't it be the other way around though? New downloads should be written to the cache for speed and then transferred hourly via "mover" to the array for long term storage? 

1 minute ago, LoneTraveler said:

Hi, 

Many thanks for your reply. 

Spaceinvader One recommended "prefer" also, which as you mentioned means; "When the mover is invoked, files and subdirectories are transferred off the array and onto the Cache disk/pool". Shouldn't it be the other way around though? New downloads should be written to the cache for speed and then transferred hourly via "mover" to the array for long term storage? 

My suspicion is that the thinking is that you want active downloads to go to the cache to avoid keeping array drives spun up while downloads are in progress.   When the downloads complete files then get moved to a share set to Use Cache=Yes so that mover subsequently transfers files to the array.   

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, itimpi said:

My suspicion is that the thinking is that you want active downloads to go to the cache to avoid keeping array drives spun up while downloads are in progress.   When the downloads complete files then get moved to a share set to Use Cache=Yes so that mover subsequently transfers files to the array.   

Thank you for clarifying. I'll make the change now.