4.7/5b3- afd question

HI all

just to be sure...

running 5b2 now and have 3 UNjumpered ears 1tb drives in my array

they don't give me any problems and the speed is normal to what i compare reading through the logs so i never bothered to jumper them

now if i upgrade the 5b3 (soon) will this give me any problems ?

i assume not as the drives are formatted with unraid so he will just continue to work ?

but what when i purchase end of the month 2 x 2 TB EARS drives and want to upgrade my parity and add another data drive ?

will they automatically be formatted with the new AFD or not ? or can i specify in unraid that i want this drive to be an AFD formatted drive ?

i read the preclear script has now a -a  switch for afd drives so i assume unraid just uses what it gets ?

just want to be sure that the mix will not make me loose 3 tb of data :P

HI all

just to be sure...

running 5b2 now and have 3 UNjumpered ears 1tb drives in my array

they don't give me any problems and the speed is normal to what i compare reading through the logs so i never bothered to jumper them

now if i upgrade the 5b3 (soon) will this give me any problems ?

They will work exactly as they do now.

i assume not as the drives are formatted with unraid so he will just continue to work ?

Correct.

but what when i purchase end of the month 2 x 2 TB EARS drives and want to upgrade my parity and add another data drive ?

will they automatically be formatted with the new AFD or not ? or can i specify in unraid that i want this drive to be an AFD formatted drive ?

You must select the "MBR-4k align" setting in the unRAID "Settings" page on the web-management console (which I think I read will be set by default in the 5.X versions of unRAID) , or pre-clear with the "-A" option.

i read the preclear script has now a -a  switch for afd drives so i assume unraid just uses what it gets ?

No, not "-a" but "-A" (Capital letter A) will get you a partition with sector 64 as the start.  (the lower case "-a" option is for a default start of sector 63, same as it always was in older versions of unRAID)

You are correct though, if precleared, or if the MBR has a valid partition starting on sector 63 or 64, it just uses the starting sector as it is, and will not change it.

just want to be sure that the mix will not make me loose 3 tb of data :P

Exactly.  It sounds like you don't need to do anything if your disks are working properly for you now.

Joe L.