Can't access share from AndroidTV

cowger

I'm trying to set up Kodi (running on an AndroidTV) in order to create another way to watch movies from my personal collection on my UnRaid NAS system. 

But before even trying to start Kodi, I'm using the My Files app on AndroidTV to try to reach my Movies share.  I click on Network Neighborhood, it finds my UnRaid system's IP address, I click on that, it finds my shares (e.g. Movies, Archives, Music), so I click on Movies and it asks me for an Account and Password.  (I don't understand why this is, as my Movies share is set up as Public, but I've also found that to access these shares via a PC, I've had to set up a User with a password and then it works.)

Unfortunately, this process is not working on the AndroidTV -- a little box pops up at the bottom saying "login fail".

So my questions are:

Why won't UnRaid let me access a "Public" share?

Why won't UnRaid let the AndroidTV login?  

I've tried creating a new user on UnRaid just for this and am careful to type in (case correct) the username and password.  No luck...

Thank you...

To be clear is this actually an AndroidTV box like the shield TV or is it an "Android box for TVs" like the ones you can find all over Amazon? I ask because some of these actually run AndroidTV while others just run Android and can look and act differently.

The "My Files" app is not a part of AndroidTV that I'm aware of so I imagine you are using a set top box with Android installed.

On my 2019 Shield TV I was able to use Kodi's file manager to access my UnRAID shares with credentials by passing the credentials as part of the SMB path call:

image.thumb.png.3d1453d575e54db985aaa04ef4926eed.png

Requiring credentials for public shares is unfortunately rather common when dealing with SMB shares in my experience. It is not an UnRAID issue specifically, certain OSes and apps seem to be able to handle it, others can't. I use File Commander on my shield to side load apps from my UnRAID public share and it works fine (the guest box is required, it doesn't like blank credentials):

image.thumb.png.0dc2ac2a7c422c583a904b31c745129b.png

Edited by weirdcrap
57 minutes ago, weirdcrap said:

To be clear is this actually an AndroidTV box like the shield TV or is it an "Android box for TVs" like the ones you can find all over Amazon? I ask because some of these actually run AndroidTV while others just run Android and can look and act differently.

Sorry for not being clear on this.  It's an Android T95 box for TV:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0897QCBF7

5 minutes ago, cowger said:

Sorry for not being clear on this.  It's an Android T95 box for TV:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0897QCBF7

Ah so Android 10 then, not AndroidTV.

See if the my Files app lets you specify you want to connect to the public share as a guest. The "Files" app on my Android 11 phone doesn't appear to support looking at my local network so I can't really test your specific scenario out.

Let me know if you have trouble connecting with Kodi, I can try to help with it though I mostly use it strictly for the Plex add-on so I can watch offline when the internet goes down (Plex app on the Shield breaks without internet).

Edited by weirdcrap
19 minutes ago, weirdcrap said:

Ah so Android 10 then, not AndroidTV.

See if the my Files app lets you specify you want to connect to the public share as a guest. The "Files" app on my Android 11 phone doesn't appear to support looking at my local network so I can't really test your specific scenario out.

I just tried connecting as a guest, and that seems to have worked!  Kodi is scanning through my NAS box now for movies... definitely progress.  Thank you!!