Mini unRAID server

ilovejedd

I'm thinking of building a small 3-drive server to keep 1:1 back-up of a few files/folders from my 9-drive unRAID server. Question, has anyone tested LGA-1155 motherboards with unRAID, yet? I was thinking of going H61/H67 Mini-ITX + Celeron when those come out later in the year. The $75 Foxconn H67S looks like it might be a decent, inexpensive option and I'm hoping the Intel DH61DL will be one, too. Right now, I can't decide whether I should wait for LGA-1155 Celerons or if I should just go with the DG41MJ/DG41AN and a Celeron/Pentium Wolfdale.

Rough parts list:

• Case/PSU: Chenbro ES34169 or CFI A2059
  • MB: ?
  • CPU: Intel Celeron ?
  • RAM: 2x2GB DDR2 800 or DDR3 1333 (depending on mobo, already have several spare)

No, as far as I know, nobody has tested LGA 1155 boards.  LGA 1156 has of course been well tested and works well.

I generally go for the ZOTAC GF6100-E-E with a Sempron 140 when I want to build a small server.  Add in a PCIe x1 SIL3132 card and you've got a nice 6 drive capacity on the cheap.  I'll admit, though, I just had two of those boards die on me (one was 6 months old, the other was brand new).  Still waiting on the two RMA boards to come, hopefully I have better luck with them.

No, as far as I know, nobody has tested LGA 1155 boards.  LGA 1156 has of course been well tested and works well.

Thanks for the feedback. Hmm, what I really like about the newer Clarkdale and Sandy Bridge processors is the insanely low idle power consumption. That's really the only thing stopping me from going LGA-775 right now. If I go LGA-775, I actually already have some Celeron and Pentium Wolfdales lying around.

I generally go for the ZOTAC GF6100-E-E with a Sempron 140 when I want to build a small server.  Add in a PCIe x1 SIL3132 card and you've got a nice 6 drive capacity on the cheap.  I'll admit, though, I just had two of those boards die on me (one was 6 months old, the other was brand new).  Still waiting on the two RMA boards to come, hopefully I have better luck with them.

I've had three Zotac motherboards die on me (2x Atom/ION, 1x GF9300). I do own a couple of GF6100-E-E and AMD Sempron 140's (Newegg Shell Shocker Deal - couldn't resist). While I'm not overly concerned about the mobo dieing on an HTPC build, I'm avoiding Zotac for any server builds, particularly one that's supposed to hold my back-up.

Check out the HP Proliant Microserver in this thread :

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=8349.0

Around $340, 5 disk capacity, low electric consumption, runs Unraid  ...

Ooh... Thanks for the recommendation. That looks absolutely perfect. I'm seeing two versions on Newegg, one $310 w/160GB HDD and another that's $350 w/250GB HDD. Does anyone know if the innards (aside from HDD) are the same on those two? At best, the small HDD will only be used for cache anyway so if they're basically the same, I'll just go with the cheaper model.

By the way, how are HDD temps and noise? Power consumption, too.

Again, thank you very much!

Ii is not very noisy at all. The annoying thing is the very bright blue light in the front logo ...

The seach function is your friend ...

;-)

Lots of pics and more info here !

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=10006.0

OS at time of building: 4.6 Basic

CPU: Dual Core 1.3 GHz AMD Athlon II

Motherboard: HP Miroserver

RAM: 1GB DDR3 Unbuffered ECC

Case: HP Miroserver

Drive Cage(s): One - Unknown brand - Probably HP

Power Supply: 200W

SATA Expansion Card(s): None

Cables: Standard SATA cables

Fans: 1 x 120mm (very quiet)

Parity Drive: Seagate 160GB (Model: VB0160EAVEQ - seems to be a model made specifically for HP)

Data Drives: Western Digital 150GB Raptor

Cache Drive: None

Total Drive Capacity: 5 drives.

Primary Use: Test unRAID server

Dislikes: Will be considered by some to be too small due to 5 drive limitation

Add Ons Used: unMENU, Sick beard + SABnzdb

Future Plans: Continue testing sick beard for a while then move to unRAID V5 beta, eventually use this system as a proper unRAID server.

Boot (peak): 61.4W

Idle (avg): 22.7W

Active (avg): 44.2W

Light use (avg): 31.2W