AV Editing under Linux?

Suse User

My name of "Suse User" on here is down to the fact I had already setup a Suse Linux server for storage prior to finding out about unRaid.  It was a lot of trial & error and I still don't know HOW I managed it! ;D

To my point...

I'd like to have a go at Video Editing under Linux.  I've just configured up a spare machine (3.2ghz P4 1gb Ram) with Kubuntu Fiesty (7.04) and would like to install some appropriate software on it.  Only problem is that I don't know the basics of compiling.

I've done some research and the program suite I've decided to try first is Cinelerra.  The download page states

No new binary packages are being created. There isn't enough of a dominant Linux distribution anymore and the distributions change their libraries too fast to justify binaries anymore. There are still forks who distribute binaries but don't support all our features.
and gives the instructions
To build most packages run configure first and then make, then make install. If there's no configure in the directory, it can probably be built with make alone.

There is no warranty on compilability of the source code. No warranty, expressed or implied, including fitness for compilation. The current known requirements to compile anything are ALSA-1.0.11, GCC 4.1, NASM version 0.98.39, kernel 2.6.16.18. Different bugs will be experienced depending on compiler version.

To decompress a source code download, use tar jxf <package name>

OK, so tar is like unzipping, that's fine...  but how complex is this for someone of limited Linux knowledge.

I chose kubuntu as I'm also working on a LinuxMCE solution machine and would like to keep the OS the same between various projects.  I also prefer the KDE desktop as I can't work out what I'm doing under Gnome.

Any tips?

Give up now & buy Adobe Premier Elements or Sony Vegas?  ;D

This has all come about because of spare hardware so it's work a go I reckon.

Thanks,

Mark.

Archived