What are your Ironwolf drive temps?

Hey, everyone. I run Unraid in an 8-bay QNAP NAS enclosure. I run 3 6TB Ironwolf drives (ST6000NE0021-2EN11C) in the first 3 bays, and my idle drive temps are pretty high (currently 45C, 45C, 41C, respectively). Ambient temp is 16-18C in a cold Minnesota basement. During a parity check, the temps of the first 2 bays can push 50C.

I'm wondering what temps your Ironwolf drives run at. Seagate rates these at a maximum temp of 60C, but that makes me uncomfortable. There are 2 120mm fans flowing over all 8 bays, and I've replaced the stock fans with some Noctuas I've had laying around. I also switched them from exhaust to intake to pull in the cold ambient air. But being a NAS, I don't have any fan control options in the BIOS. The PWM controller/fans are not detected by System AutoFan. Outside of a hardware modification to make the fans run faster, I feel like I've done quite a bit to cool these down -- consistently cold ambient and nice fans blowing directly on the drives. Just ear-balling it, I'm guessing the fans are running at about 40% speed.

But if these drives just run hot for everyone, I'll just leave it as-is.

The Celeron CPU is passively cooled and closest to bay 1, so that side will run hotter. I'm considering spacing out the drives, but it's nice to have everything organized and ready for clean expansion down the road. I never ran the stock QNAP QTS OS on this thing, so I don't have a temp baseline with any OS fan control.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Guns McWar
Added model of the drives, corrected fan size

Hey,

I am running 2 ST6000VN0041-2EL11C with 23748 power on hours. In my Unraid box, they generally sit between 31 and 32°C. They raise to 33°C during parity check. I have one 140mm fan on front of each 4 drives bay though, they are about 800 rpm since I do not have a better place than my living room to put my server.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, ChatNoir said:

Hey,

I am running 2 ST6000VN0041-2EL11C with 23748 power on hours. In my Unraid box, they generally sit between 31 and 32°C. They raise to 33°C during parity check. I have one 140mm fan on front of each 4 drives bay though, they are about 800 rpm since I do not have a better place than my living room to put my server.

Thank you, that's really good to know! Mine are the ST6000NE0021-2EN11C model. Looks like I've got more work to do cooling these things. I know I shouldn't be using a NAS enclosure, but it was free and it passes the wife test.