Unraid bootable only works with UEFI but failed memory warning on Dell r210 ii

plant

I finally switched from BIOS to UEFI and was bale to get the flash drive to boot but I keep getting a failed to allocate memory error. 

I tried running the memtest and got the same error. I tried taking two fo the three memory sticks out but same error persisted. I also tried moving the USB port a couple times but nothing seems to work. 

Total newb here but I did just put it in an old laptop and it booted up first time.

How can I figure out why my Dell r210 won't work?

Is there a specific config I need for the Dell r210 ii? 

https://imgur.com/jexG6D8

Edited by plant
adding image of error
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2020 at 11:58 PM, plant said:

I finally switched from BIOS to UEFI and was bale to get the flash drive to boot but I keep getting a failed to allocate memory error. 

I tried running the memtest and got the same error.

Do you mean memtest itself actually said it failed to allocate memory? Memtest is a totally separate bootup and is not at all related to Unraid, it is basically the same as other memtest utilities you can download.

25 minutes ago, plant said:

OK I will switch to FreeNAS I guess. 

If you are having a memory problem it won't matter what you try to run.

Well, after most of my tinkering and reading another post on this wiki it seems that syslinux is not running correctly for some reason. I have booted into FreeDOS, CentOS, Ubuntu or even Windows without any issues with memory. I even ran memory tests not using UnRaid Boot loader and had no errors. Seems to be something with the way syslinux is trying to allocate memory. 

On 11/16/2020 at 11:58 PM, plant said:

I finally switched from BIOS to UEFI

Some details missing here.

Do you mean it booted when you changed the BIOS to boot UEFI and also changed the Unraid boot flash to boot UEFI?

Do you mean it wasn't booting with the BIOS set to boot legacy and the Unraid boot flash set to boot legacy?

Or did you have BIOS configured one way and the Unraid flash configured the other?

On 11/25/2020 at 2:54 PM, trurl said:

Some details missing here.

Do you mean it booted when you changed the BIOS to boot UEFI and also changed the Unraid boot flash to boot UEFI?

Do you mean it wasn't booting with the BIOS set to boot legacy and the Unraid boot flash set to boot legacy?

Or did you have BIOS configured one way and the Unraid flash configured the other?

To clarify, when I used default settings on USB creator and left the server booting through BIOS and told it to boot to the USB drive nothing would happen. The screen would show the last command from the BIOS follow by an empty cursor like it was waiting. 

So, I tried configuring the USB for UEFI, and changed my boot to UEFI instead of BIOS and that is where I would get the error "Failed to allocate memory" and even trying to run the memory check it would show the same "failed to allocate memory" error. 

I did validate that when I use another computer the USB would boot to the Unraid setup so it seemed to be something with my server. I spend a few days figuring out how to upgrade my BIOS which didn't change my results. After finding the article above, I did try replacing the syslinux folder on the USB as well but that did not work either and I am a little past my knowledge on that one. I also tried using BETA release, removing memory down to one stick, but I also ran memcheck on CentOS and it came back good.