Blu ray passthrough

CurlyBen

Hi everyone, I hope this is the right place to post this!

I'm trying to pass a blu ray drive through to a Windows virtual machine. I edited the XML to add the following code (acquired from here, modified for my drive's address)

<hostdev mode='subsystem' type='scsi' managed='no'>
      <source>
        <adapter name='scsi_host5'/>
        <address bus='0' target='0' unit='0'/>
      </source>
      <readonly/>
      <alias name='hostdev0'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='0'/>
    </hostdev>

and the drive shows up in the VM. It correctly shows the audio CD in the drive. However, I can't access any data on the drive. I've tried a couple of different discs and have the same problem with each. Every file shows a file size of 1kb, and attempting to open them will launch Windows Media Player but it can't play the track (no error message is shown). I can't copy the files off and iTunes won't even recognise a CD in the drive. I even swapped out the drive with another and still no joy.

Could this be because my computer doesn't support IOMMU? I have a 3570k and apparently Intel decided buyers of the 'k' variant wouldn't want all the features of the processor enabled! If not, are there any obvious culprits?

Bonus questions:

1) One of my BR drives is a write. Is enabling this functionality as simple as removing the readonly flag in the code above?

2) When using USB passthrough, is there any way to disable the passthrough if the device is no longer connected? I was using a USB hard drive with pass through. I disconnected it without disabling the passthrough, and the next time I tried to start the VM it failed because the drive wasn't there - but nor was the option to remove if from pass through. I had to reconnect the drive and remove it from pass through before I could load the VM.

I got it working! To cut a long story short, I found a post on a MakeMKV forum which said that, by default, Windows does not allow access to removable storage when using Remote Desktop. I followed this instruction:

In the local Group Policy editor (run gpedit.msc), go into Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/System/Removable Storage Access
Enable the policy "All Removable Storage: Allow direct access in remote sessions"

and now I can access the drive. The code in my XML is the same as in my original post. I'm running Unraid 6.9.0 (the beta). I did notice that when looking in the system devices tab on 6.8.3 it listed the blu ray drive but had no size listed next to it. When looking at the same tab in 6.9.0 it did list the size of the CD in the drive. No idea if it's relevant!