Veracrypt disk image on an UnRAID share

bidmead

Interesting question (I think so, anyway). I have an UnRAID drive flagged to spin down after 15mins of neglect. It's shared over the LAN. When I access this sleeping drive in the normal way over the LAN the drive obligingly spins up.

However, I've created a Veracrypt disk image on this drive, mounted it with Veracrypt on my Hackintosh, where it appears as a regular remote share---when the drive is spinning. All the encrypted files inside the disk image can be accessed just as if they were on a regular remote share.

If I leave the UnRAID drive to spin down, the contents of the Veracrypt disk image all still appear in the Finder, as you'd expect. You might also expect, as I did, that an attempt to access this content, by playing a movie found inside the disk image, for instance, would spin up the drive.

This appears not to happen, though. The UnRAID share seems unaware that I'm trying to access it. It turns out that I need either to touch the drive OUTSIDE the disk image (by creating a folder there, perhaps) or explicitly spin up the drive from the UnRAID WebGUI.

I'd very much welcome comments and explanations.

UnRAID version 6.8.3

-- 

Chris

diagram.png