• [6.10.0-RC1] Awful VM performance

JesterEE
    • Annoyance

I run a Windows 10 gaming VM on my Unraid machine and after upgrading from 6.9.2 to 6.10.0-RC1, the VM is having many, many more noticeable pops and glitches with the same exact VM configuration.  This is usually an issue with poor Deferred Procedure Call (DPC) performance, and I have seen this previously in earlier Unraid versions, but since 6.8.3, my VM setup has been pretty stable.  I tried changing the VM settings to optimize, upgraded my VM to the latest Q35-6.0, tried different USB controller settings, bound my guest GPU and USB controllers to VFIO passthrough ... nothing helps.  I rolled back to 6.9.2, instantly no issues.

Anything I can help debug?

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I was having some pretty bad issues with VMs in 6.10... every time I started my VM it would act like it was running fine then crash my whole system 5 minutes later. If I didn't start my gaming VM, no crash. Downgraded to 6.9.2 and no crashes anymore either. Unfortunately didn't hear much on my bug report so hopefully the team is working behind the scenes on something

Just want you guys to know that we're tracking all of these VM issues and I'm looking into them this week.  Thank you for the reports!

• Thanks 3

Hi there,

For those having this issue, please report back with a copy of your system diagnostics, and any relevant A/B testing you've done comparing 6.9-series VM performance to 6.10.  For game-specific testing, please list the games you've tried.  We're actively trying to recreate these issues in the lab, but so far, no dice.

@nickp85 and @JesterEE please attach your system diagnostics when you have a moment so I can review those.  Again, I have been unable to recreate the issue in the lab, so we're going to need more help from you guys to figure out what's going on.

22 hours ago, jonp said:

@nickp85 and @JesterEE please attach your system diagnostics when you have a moment so I can review those.  Again, I have been unable to recreate the issue in the lab, so we're going to need more help from you guys to figure out what's going on.

I have to reload 6.10 on my server to do that.  I'll see if I can get to it this week sometime.

On 11/8/2021 at 4:23 PM, jonp said:

I decided to try 6.10rc2 today and it's been fine for me now. I got my VM up to Q35-6.1 and added a virtual TPM to go to Windows 11. All good now. Guess maybe it was something fixed by the component upgrades in rc2?

• Like 1